News from DEMA???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been taking all my scuba equipment with me for years in nice, plain suitcases
It's when they see the fugly guy toting them that they become safe! :D :D :D

We almost didn't have one this past year. We signed up for it and they wouldn't let us out of it without stiff penalties. We have not signed up for it next year and we won't. I'll be going in and out on my media badge from here on out.
I was extremely excited to have attended my last DEMA. By the average age of the attendees (my age or older), we may have all tipped over by next DEMA anyway. Interesting that what struck me is that exhibiters are definitely targeting us geezers. Truk Odyssey was touting their new diver lift, as was I, and all of the new dive computers have wonderful displays that older eyes can still see. Most everything else was a gimmick, including the Snorkelator, the miflex hose with LP inflator on one end and garden hose on the other (so you don't have to stick the hose in the inflator mouthpiece and hold a button, you have to plug it in and push a button), and the wetsuit hanger with the garden hose connection to help rinse the wetsuit.

Sigh

I was extremely excited to have attended my last DEMA. By the average age of the attendees (my age or older), we may have all tipped over by next DEMA anyway. Interesting that what struck me is that exhibiters are definitely targeting us geezers. Truk Odyssey was touting their new diver lift, as was I, and all of the new dive computers have wonderful displays that older eyes can still see. Most everything else was a gimmick, including the Snorkelator, the miflex hose with LP inflator on one end and garden hose on the other (so you don't have to stick the hose in the inflator mouthpiece and hold a button, you have to plug it in and push a button), and the wetsuit hanger with the garden hose connection to help rinse the wetsuit.

Sigh

The DEMA show in its last throes. Attendance declining these past years.

The overweight and aged waddling up the aisles to distracted and disengaged "booths".

Diving still fun for me @ 70. Much more fun than the treadmill and way more relaxing.

DEMA with its overpaid staff and recycled "Board of Directors" will keep up the "same old same old".

I was at the first DEMA show in Miami and attended most shows for many years.

Watching the show diluted by Dive hats, jewelry, vitamins, foot supports, and shrinking exhibits, it became obvious
that times were changing.

Regional Shows: Our World Underwater, Beneath The Sea, Scuba Show Long Beach, still seem to attract good crowds.
Hope that trend continues.

I read on USIA's FB page that they weren't going this year and were passing along the savings to dealers who placed orders within a certain time period.

I read on USIA's FB page that they weren't going this year and were passing along the savings to dealers who placed orders within a certain time period.

USIA-first class company, family owned, made in the USA products, military supplier, OEM for other companies.

This class act knows the market and where to spend their money.

Most everything else was a gimmick, including the ... miflex hose with LP inflator on one end and garden hose on the other (so you don't have to stick the hose in the inflator mouthpiece and hold a button, you have to plug it in and push a button)
Unfair, grumpy criticism. The path for the water to get into the bladder is different via the LPI than through the mouthpiece, so you get some good washing of stuff you normally don't wash.

and that concept has been out for a LONG time, DSS has had one for years, and I don't think they were the first ones to do it. Definitely not gimicky since sticking the hose in the mouthpiece doesn't always get the LPI guts which are the ones most likely to leak

This was my 21st DEMA since 1987, I am going again for sure. I can't count the number of times the experts of gloom and doom talk about not having DEMA and that DEMA is dead!!

Computers are cool and all, but have you guys seen this innovative new product that Scubapro posted to their page? It features a revolutionary "literally just a suitcase with our logo on it so you pay more for the brand name" design.

Instagram video by SCUBAPRO • Nov 18, 2016 at 7:51pm UTC

That was "demo'ed" to me at the show. I asked how much and the answer was a flippant "just a couple a hundred bucks". I have seldom been so underwhelmed at any booth as much as I was at SP this year.

Of the big companies, Mares are introducing a new Tech line. Cressi were showing new free-diving stuff. Huish had a bunch of new BCs and other stuff. SP - Squadoosh. Worse: They cannot even produce their latest BCD. I would short them.

Back
Top Bottom