NHL Strike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is how many of us feel.
Enjoy

pretty funny..... tks Jason.

I SO HOPE we have a season next year...I agree with JIveturkey's last posting though.... it's beginning to sound like the other big sport prima donna leagues and teams.... "if you don't do this xxxx we'll go to another city", "if we don't get that, we go on strike".........

They all need to open their eyes ans see how lucky they are.... and remember all the people that don't watch or buy tickets for baseball games anymore....

Along with other professional teams, they all get upset that they do not get what they think is due to them. I hardly watch NFL games anymore, it's all about how much money will they make not for the love of the game......could it be that we as a scoiety have become to greedy and lost our sense of competition?

College games are better, players don't get a salary...some play for the love of the game....

Yes.... that seems to be the truth with most organized sports. Pity it's just us, the fans, that end up with the short end of the stick :(

Corigan:
Unfortunately here in Atlanta that isn't an option. I live about 30 minutes north of atlanta. It takes me about 30-40 minutes to make a game downtown (NHL Atlanta Thrashers) in rush hour traffic. Most of the weekday games are at 7 or 7:30, so you have to drive in rush hour. For me to see an Minor league game I have to drive over an hr to gwinett to see the Gladiators. This is an hour in no traffic, in rush hour it would take me 2+. I couldn't even make the games if I wanted to. I know this isn't really a gripe for most, but unfortunately here they made it to where the minor league hockey team isn't as easily accessible as the NHL team.

Matt
Same here NYC 30-45 minutes even with traffic. Hartford 1 hour plus any other local minor league team even longer.

Hey let's really let them know how we feel.
http://www.nhlpa.com/feedback/index.asp

Its interesting the different areas and the availability of “minor league” hockey to watch.
Then you have where I live which is just northwest of Toronto.
Listed below are the travel times door to door.
NHL
Leaf game, which is very hard to get, tickets 40 minutes by car in rush hour.
Buffalo, 90 minutes, easy to get tickets unless they are playing Toronto.
AHL
Next year the Leafs farm team is moving to Toronto, 40 minutes
Hamilton, 35 minutes.
OHL
Major Junior
This is one of three major junior leagues across Canada. This is a major source of the NHL draft. These are the guys on the way up. Kids who think they have a shot at the NHL play here. Kids who question their abilities for one reason or another, but who are smart enough, go to the US on scholarships at this point. If the kid doesn’t get drafted he still comes out with a college education. Not bad. USC in the winter sounds pretty good.
Brampton, 7minutes
Mississauga, 15 minutes
St. Mikes, 30 minutes
Oshawa, Guelph, Kitchener, Barrie less than one hour.
University
About 5 in less than an hour.
OHA
Junior A/Tier 2
Level just below OHL (A source for many NCAA players)
About 30 teams in less than an hour, including 2 that are less than 10 minutes.

Also add to the above our local minor hockey organization which has in excess of 120 teams. These range from kids 4 years old to 20.
Lots to watch in my neck of the woods.

Back to the topic. Watch for Betman to reconfigure his previous offer. I really don’t see much of a change. His biggest hurdle will be to convince the owners that a 24% drop in salaries and the luxury taxes which are also significant, are only a short-term gain and just not enough.
On the other hand if he doesn’t come back with something that the NHLPA can at least try to negotiate with this could get even uglier, very fast.

How much uglier can this get?

Corigan:
Unfortunately here in Atlanta that isn't an option. I live about 30 minutes north of atlanta. It takes me about 30-40 minutes to make a game downtown (NHL Atlanta Thrashers) in rush hour traffic. Most of the weekday games are at 7 or 7:30, so you have to drive in rush hour. For me to see an Minor league game I have to drive over an hr to gwinett to see the Gladiators. This is an hour in no traffic, in rush hour it would take me 2+. I couldn't even make the games if I wanted to. I know this isn't really a gripe for most, but unfortunately here they made it to where the minor league hockey team isn't as easily accessible as the NHL team.

Matt

30-40 min from Woodstock to downtown? That's pretty good. Anything is more accessible than downtown Atlanta. I will never go in an pay $10 to park several blocks away or deal with MARTA for a sporting event. The bottom line is that I hate a city this size. The prices and inconvenience make it horrible. The Atlanta A-league soccer team costs twice as much as the Richmond team in the same league, plus there is a parking charge for a stadium outside the perimeter. I went to a lot of the Kickers games, but I don't plan on attending any Silverbacks games at these prices.

I haven't checked out the Gladiators prices, but I figure they are high with the Thrashers locked out. It's just not worth it to me to pay much to watch other people play a game. I would rather play. I guess I am the perfect big city resident. I get the SLIGHTLY higher pay and don't like the available activities, so I can buy more stuff and save to live and spend elsewhere later!

Its hard to believe that this many folks on a SCUBA site are worked up about a lost hockey season! Add me to the list. As a long time hockey fanatic and Panthers season ticket holder, the lockout has left me with a surplus of time and money. If the owners or players want either of them then just put some product on ice. If not, well... I guess I have more time for The Board and can shop for a new computer or camera gear...

---Bob

Can always watch fake wrestling....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom