NHL Strike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adder70:
Everyone says next year like if it doesn't happen this year, it will next year. The owners may be in a position of absolutely having to get a salary cap or shutting down, and the players union has said they would never accept one. I think the possibility that the NHL is gone forever should be considered.

I truly don't think (hope) that the NHL will be dissolved. I do, however, think that it will look markedly different than what we've been used to. I think replacement players are a real possibility. And I also think that the current players have no chance of starting their own league because they don't have the venues to play in.

This is going to get even uglier before it gets better. I just don't know how long "better" takes.....

scubapro50:
really could care less about the sport .... if the players wanted to make more money then try the World Wrestling Federation ... at least there they put on a good show

You consider the WWF a good show? That says a lot.

What's the deal with the olympics next year? Are the players going to be playing olympic hockey?

Just found this thread. All I know is that I miss my hockey.... :errrr:

jiveturkey:
What's the deal with the olympics next year? Are the players going to be playing olympic hockey?

Yes, national teams are different then the NHL. BTW, don't you remember when NHL players were NOT allowed to play in the Olympics???

MikeC:
Yes, national teams are different then the NHL. BTW, don't you remember when NHL players were NOT allowed to play in the Olympics???
They're different but not totally separate. The league usually shuts down and permission has to be granted. I was just wondering because these are different circumstances than the last games.

So this is still going on uhh? How cool..a mighty professional organization being brought to its knees over greed...no end in sight?

I suspect this will eventually happen to all the over priced professional sporting industries....baseball, basketball, and football. I can't wait to see this happen...now THAT would be a great day! To see these sports in the purest form again, where people play because they enjoy it, not because of the money.

Then again, some people need 10 mil to feed their families.

jepuskar:
I can't wait to see this happen...now THAT would be a great day! To see these sports in the purest form again, where people play because they enjoy it, not because of the money.

Me too but don't hold your breath. I'd like to see it happen in the music industry too but again, remember to keep breathing.

jiveturkey:
Me too but don't hold your breath. I'd like to see it happen in the music industry too but again, remember to keep breathing.
I disagree. Don't get me wrong...I think there are tons of talent-less hacks putting records out these days. Anyone one who has a famous brother, sister, parent, etc. gets a record deal. They're so pathetic they can't even lip-sync, never mind actually sing or play an instrument.

BUT

Music is the one entertainment field where they really have to work their asses off to make money. Unless you sell a millions of albums, most artists actually HAVE to go on tour just to even cover the cost of making their record.

Movies and TV is a whole different story, though. They really need all those millions for a few months of filming. And they we have to pay $9 to sit through 5 hours of commercials before we get to see that crap. Even with all the advertising, sets, stunts, cgi, etc. the biggest cost in making a movie is probably the salaries of all these overpaid big name actors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom