Not part of Greater China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, but I have to ask Itzok why he has his panties in such a twist about allowing a forum for a group of divers for their country/island/region without sharing the name of their oppressive neighbor who desires to take over their island.

I assume that the constitutional name of their own country would be acceptable? I mean considering it is after all THEIR constitution?

I assume that the constitutional name of their own country would be acceptable? I mean considering it is after all THEIR constitution?

So why not let them decide their own fate?

The divers who live and post in the area should decide what they prefer and not have labels imposed on them based on outsiders, especially labels they feel uncomfortable with. We give minority groups in the US this right, think of the iterations of acceptable labels for various minorities over the years. Maybe we think it is funny and irrational, but to them it is important. So why not give them a break.

Hey there

I have just found this thread and would like to ask how the original request for Taiwan to have it's own section is going? is this still under consideration or has a decision been made?

Clearly the vast majority that has taken the time to voice their opinion on this matter is in support of Taiwan having its own group and the OP has made a very good argument as to how this will create an increased usage and awareness of this forum in Taiwan.

The reason for my interest in this post is that I have just returned from a 10 day holiday in Taiwan where I was lucky enough to spend a few days diving and meet some people in the diving community there. As I live in Asia and work as a PADI instructor I thought I had a pretty good grasp on what kind of diving is on offer in surrounding countries but had up untill this point never really heard anything of Taiwan, for this reason I was totally blown away when I got in the water there.

I went out from Kenting in the south where rich coral gardens are in absolutely teeming with life, the visibility was around 15 meters for all my dives and I'm assured that this rises when out of low season (winter). Clearly the dive sites are looked after as the coastline is litter free as are the beautiful reefs below the water.

The dives sites have caves, swim throughs, wrecks, tonnes of coral and this is the snapshot I got, the islands like green island and orchid island apparantly have even better diving and even the possibility of getting out to dive with hammerheads!!

The diving is cheap, easily accessed and so far enjoyed by people on the island but a bit of a secret to others, although I am sure this is due to change as time goes by. There are many native English speaking operators in the area (I used a Canadian guy called John Boo from U dive) and there are a huge number of Taiwanese diving operators. Before setting off I had recieved some very usefull info from the community on Scubaboard in Taiwan including wontonmien who took the time out to give me more than enough info and recommendations

I also got to meet quite a few divers from the area who really took time out to make me feel welcome and gave me a tonne of information and recommendations for the next time I return, which I certainly will do so.

I think Taiwan should certainly be given autonomy on this board, I have no knowledge of politics in the area or much of a grasp on history but from the perspective of a diver that uses scubaboard (which is perhaps more relevant to the original post) I certainly agree that it should get its own area.

Hey there

I have just found this thread and would like to ask how the original request for Taiwan to have it's own section is going? is this still under consideration or has a decision been made?

It was under discussion, but it seemed to have faded away over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. I've bumped the thread for further discussion among staff.

Well, I might as well bump it too and more importantly wish all of our Chinese and Taiwanese divers a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy New Year.

Well, I might as well bump it too and more importantly wish all of our Chinese and Taiwanese divers a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy New Year.

Yes, Happy New Year to all. It will be the Year of the Rabbit on Thursday. :D

Actually I was referring to the thread in the back for staff discussion. :)

Yes, Happy New Year to all. It will be the Year of the Rabbit on Thursday. :D

Oh noesssssss!!! :fear:

istockphoto_939409-bunny-boiler.jpg

More like:

r

FWIW, the new forum has been approved and should be up shortly.

Back
Top Bottom