Octo on bungeed necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Primary isn't on a necklace, if it needs to be removed for any purpose other than sharing air its clipped off to the chest d-ring(deco gasses, etc), or you lean and sweep to recover it. Having it on a necklace defeats the purpose of your buddy being able to grab it from your mouth in an OOA situation.

If you pull the regulator it will slide off the bungee, as long as you don't tie it to the regulator. So that's not a valid reason.

Adam

Your primary reg, the one you are breathing from is in your mouth...Your octo is on a necklace which is around your neck...You cannot die from it choking you...really. You do not need to have a long hose set up to use this configuration. Mentioned several times prior.

You can have your primary on a necklace aswell.( Keeping a recreational setup and not the long hose.) IF by chance it gets ripped out of your mouth, it will break away from the necklace...the OOA diver will rip it out regardless. Then you switch to your octo.

There are NO CHOKING hazards when using the necklace on a reg primary or octo, nor is there a choking hazard when using the long hose set up..where did someone find that bit of nonsense????

Repeating....the bungied necklace, either it is made of silicon tubing or bungied cord..it breaks away once yanked...regardless. Unless you have somehow managed to tape it down or used super glue or tie it directly to the reg.... My necklace is fastened by two tie wraps. which is just tight enough to not let the secondary reg slip out on its own. It can be yanked out just by pulling a little...

the theory of reg share is simple...donate a guaranteed working reg. Donate a reg that happens to not work on the first breath...you will be in a world of ****. This is why, when diving a long hose set up, you happen to need to donate a reg, you donate a guaranteed working reg from you mouth, then switch to your octo while your OOA is breathing from your primary reg. Simple.

On a recreational set up. You are trained to donate your Alternate. However if your alternate happens to not be where you clipped it. Chances are your OOA diver is taking the one in your mouth. Then what...you scramble to swing and reach your octo which has dislodge from its resting place...um not on my dive.

think about it.

Last edited:
The theory of reg share is simple...donate a guaranteed working reg. Donate a reg that happens to not work on the first breath...you will be in a world of ****. This is why, when diving a long hose set up, you happen to need to donate a reg, you donate a guaranteed working reg from you mouth, then switch to your octo while your OOA is breathing from your primary reg. Simple.

This is also why, in double tank setups the long hose, which is the donated regulator, goes on the right post. This is the 'roll on' side. If you accidently bump against something (like the top of the cave) the right knob will roll the valve on so the regulator attached to the right valve again with be sure to have air for an OOA diver.

On a recreational set up. You are trained to donate your Alternate.

Not when I teach OW!

That's part of why I use integrated inflator/second stages like the RiteAir or the Air2. It forces the student to breath off the alternate and donate the one in their mouth. It's best to set patterns like this from the very beginning.

Be safe and have fun in the water! Bruce

Cave bum
when I started out my OW mentioned several times to always donate your Octo..what did I now...as I progressed..I was taught to donate my primary reg. A guaranted working reg to an OOA.

Glad you teach this in your OW...I am not a fan of the inflator/octo set up...

as they say to each his own..or her own...:D

safe dives

I TOTALLY agrre with CAVEBUM. This nonsense that "there is no choking hazzard' when being bungeed is just that. I have no issues with people who rig there rigs that way (to each thee own) but for ME, my octo is intergrated into my inflator hose.

I TOTALLY agrre with CAVEBUM. This nonsense that "there is no choking hazzard' when being bungeed is just that. I have no issues with people who rig there rigs that way (to each thee own) but for ME, my octo is intergrated into my inflator hose.

When does cave bum say that "there is no choking hazard" is nonsense? He's FOR the necklace and we are saying the idea that you will choke is nonsense, not that it's nonsense that you WON'T choke.

Diving is about mitigating the risks while enjoying our aquatic world.
Not all the risk can be eliminated while participating in the sport.
Every risk you eliminate is one less thing you need to be concerned of during your dives. It simple makes sense to eliminate those risks you can so your task load is lowered. Laughing a hazard of as improbable when it is still a possibilty is asking for Murphy to strike. You may consider it a little tug but if you are suggesting the use by others can you be sure they will react the same way? What if it isn't a tree branch but something more hazardous that you miss because of poor vis.
This really is a sport where you should follow the boyscout motto. "Be Prepared"

Choking with anything around the neck can actually done 2 ways, one breaking the trachea and the other closing the blood supply. To damage trachea you need to apply the force from the back that is you the necklace has to be cached from the side where it is protected with the valves which makes it highly unlikely. The second type - closing the blood supply can only be done if you close vessels on both sides on the neck. Those who do Judo or BJJ know that it is not easily accomplished and if you a bit off the alignment when you do the techniques it will not work. It means that you cannot close them with a rubber necklace especially if it's placed over a hood. In an unlikely event of the necklace being trapped it's easy to release the pressure with your hands.

Not having your backup reg close by will pose much greater problems in OAA situation.

This is from the guy who could not find his primary? Which should have been stuffed securely in his mouth. :rofl3:

Took it off to practice smb deployment, which I ****ed up :) Inflated the smb, realized I lost track of my primary, switched to my octo and figured out what I did wrong(made notes of what I did, and went over that I'd be doing this with my buddy, who was standing by ready to donate air if needed). Primary doesn't have a d-ring tied to it because I'm new to DIR diving and just haven't bothered to do it yet.

Live and learn. Thread the smb properly, and hold your primary while inflating, or always know where an alternate air source is.

See, it was a drill!!!

Having not used an integrated octo before, how do you vent from your wing while breathing off the octo? Sure you can use the pull dump at the base of the wing but we're not always oriented in a position that it would let air out.

I do have experience servicing integrated octos and I can say that they are easily the most frustrating type of second stage for me to service. Additionally, if you end up with a sticky inflator button (something that actually does have a chance of happening btw) then when you disconnect the QR you are now left with a useless integrated octo.

That is a great training question that all integrated users should be aware of and have practiced dealing with.

First some wings like my OMS have a shoulder dump for when you are upright.

A second method is to suck the air out of the wings bladder while pressing the dump buttom on the integrated Octo. Taking a breath from the bladder. I do not suggest using this method unless you know the bladder is clean and free of mold or as a last resort. In the case of my own gear I maintain it well and have no problem with this. I practice this method with my Oxycheq singles wing since it has no shoulder dump.

Third method is more for jacket BC users or wings with a elbow dump on the inflator hose. That is to pull the hose without pulling the reg from your mouth. It can be dome with practice.

Finally just change your in water orientation to use an available dump valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom