Octo on bungeed necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For open water situations:
  • A 'regular' hose works perfectly - but sharing air is limited to emergencies and you can't really navigate while sharing (as you would do with a traditional octopus)
  • A 40-44in hose can be routed under the arm, which is more comfortable, and sharing is a bit better - but you still can't really navigate.
  • A 5ft hose allow to comfortably share air, and still enjoy the dive - but might be a pain to stow depending on your height (it was for me)
  • A 7ft hose is even better while sharing, and about as easy/easier to stow than the 5ft
I'd recommend to go with either the 40-44 inches (depending of your height), or the 7ft - if you plan to share air often or go caving/wrecking later. I have both and find myself switching regularly as I can't decide which configuration is best :D

The inconvenients of the 5ft/7ft hoses are that stowing them while not sharing air is more complicated than with a shorter hose, and that you need to pay more attention to the second stage both underwater and on the boat (it needs to be clipped at all times when not used). Up to you to decide if the extra comfort while sharing air is worth it or not.

I myself have not taken the step towards any form of tech diving at this point but I am however a divemaster candidate and have found I do prefer some of the gear that is commonly used for tech diving. I have gone to a BP&W configuration with a 5' hose on my primary. I do however prefer the integrated octo over a standard octo and neckless. I find it to be easy to find in the event it is needed. I have taken the time to learn to control my buoyancy while breathing from it.
It's clear that you and I are aware that just because the montra of the day says you should use standard gear it doesn't mean the standard won't evolve as the gear does.

I have the intergrated octo. Nice, but a pain to use while asending and limits my head mobility. I am switching back to having a regular octo, but on a necklass.

My question is to anyone who has the 7' that goes behine the head and then into your mouth... have you ever had an OOA diver come and surprise you by ripping your primary out? That is what kind of spooks my about wrapping it around.

OOA training is all calm, you see the poor bastard and offer a regulator all nice an happy. I have not been in an OOA situation (yet) but have been told by some who have that it is like being molested for your primary.

Also, couldn't you have a 7' hose and instead of looping around your head you can rig it like tec divers do their stage bottles?

Loop it back on itself, with nice bends, then under your right arm to your mouth.

Attachments

• rigged_40.jpg
    rigged_40.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 53
I have the intergrated octo. Nice, but a pain to use while asending and limits my head mobility. I am switching back to having a regular octo, but on a necklass.

My question is to anyone who has the 7' that goes behine the head and then into your mouth... have you ever had an OOA diver come and surprise you by ripping your primary out? That is what kind of spooks my about wrapping it around.

OOA training is all calm, you see the poor bastard and offer a regulator all nice an happy. I have not been in an OOA situation (yet) but have been told by some who have that it is like being molested for your primary.

The way that the hose is wrapped all you have to do is duck your head when the OOA diver snatches it and it will slide right up over your head. Then there is no fumbling around because you have your backup within inches of your mouth. I can't think of an easier way to deploy it.

Also, couldn't you have a 7' hose and instead of looping around your head you can rig it like tec divers do their stage bottles?

Loop it back on itself, with nice bends, then under your right arm to your mouth.

The issue with that is...would you be able to stow it by yourself underwater, or would your buddy have to do it for you?

Every once in awhile, my long hose comes undone from where it's routed under my canister light...it's really easy to just tuck it back under myself. If my long hose were bungeed against a tank like you see on that stage bottle photo, it would require a buddy to take care of retucking it if it came loose...

It would also make it harder to do pre-dive long hose deployments....the standard "check" at the start of a dive to make sure the long hose is able to be deployed if neccessary.

Not many tech divers would ever rig their primary hose onto their stage cylinders. My internet is slow, so I couldn't check your photo...but this would be far from an optimum solution for 99.9% of situations and dives.

Behind (around) the nexk, really does work...and it is a lot slicker and simpler than you would imagine from reading the descriptions.

This is called "stuffing the long hose" and was the subject of much debate in the very early days.

We put a couple of loops of surgical tubing on the right tank then stuffed the hose as you described.

A variation on this was to hang a couple of loops from the manifold and stuff it sorta behind your head, between the manifold and the wing.

Just for grins, do it, deploy it, then put it back.

Good stuff, thanks everyone.

Devon, I did not mean that your primary reg is off of a stage bottle. I just used that (and the photo) as an example.

Yes...I finally got a decent internet connection and saw your photo (withthe stage reg stowed on the deco cylinder).

I tried using bungees on my right tank for stowing the long hose.... it was awkward, more prone to entanglement and accidental unravelling...and extremely hard to re-stow by yourself.

In contrast, looping behind the neck is easy, streamlined, easy to deploy and easy to re-stow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom