October Megadive Rez!!! (10/28-30), Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good thing the meet isnt on the other side near LA (lower Alabama) near Pensacola or Gulf Shores or we would need to start worrying about UFO's :icon28:

I'll take on a honery raccon, rabid armadillo, or mean old gator and even a big bad owl before I would take on abduction, and those nasty implants up my nose....Never know where those alien hands have been!! Besides, you can grill and eat most critters, but I heard first hand that those aliens really smell bad when you cook em'....:martian:

I guess I will be camping and adding and subtracting from the community feast!:eat_arrow

Down Town Hoss Man:wavey:

Brewone0to:
I don't think you should worry too much about the armadillos,racoons,otters(rabid or otherwise)and for that matter jack-o-lopes.
What you need to have concern for is that on many trips to there in the past, I've seen by far the LARGEST OWL I've EVER seen in my whole life. NO B.S.!!!!
When it takes to flight you can almost feel the pressure change as he goes overhead.

Brian

Hmmm ........ I wonder if we taste like chicken to him???

No, just macaroni n' cheese.

cewarbin:
I'll take on a honery raccon, rabid armadillo, or mean old gator and even a big bad owl before I would take on abduction, and those nasty implants up my nose....

The armadillo's play for keeps though, they've been spotted diving as well. They have no respect for florida fishing laws and will not thing twice about carrying a speargun into freshwater with the intent of having a bit of man for dinner.

... Last year, there was even reports of one riding a scooter armed with torps.

Below is a pic of a diving one, luckily, this 'dillo', whom some of us know by name, was caught off guard without any weaponry.

Upcoming:
October 28-30, 2005 at Ginnie Springs
Early November Manatee dive 2005- TBD
May megadive at Ginnie Springs in 2006- TBD

SmokeAire:
No, just macaroni n' cheese.
ERR Yeh,Yeh,
Thats what I meant to say.err,uh type
Do you think you'll make this one Chuck?
If not,we'll miss ya'.
I mean we would still go,but we would miss ya' just the same.
Brian

SuPrBuGmAn:
The armadillo's play for keeps though, they've been spotted diving as well. They have no respect for florida fishing laws and will not thing twice about carrying a speargun into freshwater with the intent of having a bit of man for dinner.

... Last year, there was even reports of one riding a scooter armed with torps.

Below is a pic of a diving one, luckily, this 'dillo', whom some of us know by name, was caught off guard without any weaponry.

Wow, Scooter riding, torpedo totin Armadillo!!! Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water....

Heck with those Aliens, they pale next to Dillo's like that. Seen a few sharks, and they made my breathing rate go up slightly, but that thing might make me drain a tank in no time flat. Scary stuff!!!

This is even worse than those deer that hunt humans...

Horssefeathers

We have freshwater sharks up here now.
Bull sharks have even been known to adapt to freshwater conditions and have been killed well inland in estuaries elsewhere. We have not seen any bullsharks here, however, there has been the occasional Landshark sighting in and around the springs. They seem to be like the blind catfish. They stay mostly around the cave systems in the freshwater spring areas, and have been spotted as far inland as Ginnie Springs. They seem to have a seasonal methodology, perhaps it is a spawning season for them. There is one that is sighted most often during the winter months and again during the spring months near Devil's Eye system and the Little Devil Run area. He has been nickamed Andy, I guess after the toy story character whose favorite toy was a Woody until he got a Buzz.
Anyway, I hear he's fairly harmless and will actually swim right up to you. He has been known to be territorial, and attack without warning when near a cave entrance. He is also known for reel entanglements and dive light failures. Please be warned that feeding Andy may be hazardous as he may bite the hand that feeds him. It is best advised that you stay away from food areas if he is seen in the area. He is believed to be of the Carcharadon Litigationous family of Landsharks, which is known to be particularly gregarious. This is why we believe he may not be alone in the area.
If sighted, please be careful, and notify other people nearby. This has been a Public Service announcement from the Visions of Atlantis Scuba Center.

That the Carcharadon Litigationous, "Andy Landshark", may be descended from the prehistoric "Litigationous Sooalotavus" that frequented this area so many years ago. It is believed this prehistoric shark is similar to the Megamouth shark as is the Andy Landshark in its ability to engulf entire Surface Intervals in mere seconds. Although there are few photographs of this rare shark in its natural environment, records have been found pointing to its typical feeding grounds and frequent areas of activity. Join in the search and preservation of this mysterious creature by becoming a member of The Florida Conch Divers' Landshark Research and Observation Unit, or the Florida Underwater Biological Assessment Research Team. Stay tuned to the Discovery channel for a documentary on the landshark. Larn abou its habits, and environment and what you can do to further encourage its survival in its modern day habitats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom