orphaned cat..needs home

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about a declawed cat being defenseless.....

We adopted a declawed cat from the pound once, and intended on keeping him indoors. He was desperate to go outside and after putting up with him demanding for two months finally he got out anyhow. Since that time he has patrolled the neighborhood at will, claiming it as 'his' domain, including keeping other neighborhood cats in line (he's fixed, so no worries about kittens) and coming home when he pleases. He hunts and often leaves dead 'offerings' on our doorstep, and once I caught him climbing a tree - successfully! (I had to call my SO to witness THAT one!)

I read that the declawing involves removing the tow from the first joint up, including the bone. Seems kinda cruel to me. I certainly would not want that done to me.

I'll let you guys know the outcome of the blood tests tomorrow.

RatCat is also declawed, and I will never let that happen to a cat again! SHe too is an outside cat... IN THE WINTER. In the summer, she is content to watch the world go by through a window on my daughter's bed... hoping that she will come home again soon! Frances will have at least one great by-product. My daughter still thinks that I can fix any and everything and feels that our house will be safer than any shelter could be.

I just hope Frances does not disclose the myth too easily. :D

Keep the claws. I know it is a rareity, but I have a friend who declawed her kitten. Something happened, maybe too many drugs or the procedure done incorrectly, but the cat is different, always in a bad mood. I feel so bad for the cat, cause she must be hurting (5 years later), but then she is so hateful. Never have seen a cat that has not warmed up to me until I met this one...and knew her before she was declawed...was a loveable kitten...

I said I WASN'T getting the declaw done.

I just need to learn to clip his nails a little. May try the soft paw tips. Has anyone used them?

Playing Devil's Advocate:

quote from my vet -

"Cat declaws are pretty painful and are in essence amputations of the toes at the first (farthest out) joint. Most shelters adopt kittens with the understanding that they will not be declawed. Some veterinarians are refusing to do declaws as well.

We stress quality of life, both of the cat and you living with the cat. If given the choice of not adopting a cat, getting rid of a cat or worse case, putting a cat down because it is destructive...I'd much rather do the declaw. We strive for a win win situation and sometimes in the real world that means a declaw."

He is a wonderful vet, I trust him to make decisions for Indy (see pic at left) when we are out of the country...

Just my 2 cents...

Ok Lima Bean is healthy. They trimmed her nails and showed me how to do it. And they said Lima Bean is a GIRL! 6 months old and weighs 6lbs even. Also that she looks to have a little Maine Coon in her. Cool! They hooked me up with some free food, and a month's worth of heart worm pills and advantix flea stuff.

Wendy, since Lima Bean has Maine Coon in her, I thought we'd show you what you're in for; our younger cat is 100% Maine Coon, weighs 24 lbs and is 39 inches long when she's stretched out....

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom