P- Valve vs relief zipper vs depends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity, have you tried the Trigon model by chance? Just asking because it's one of the options on the Nova.
This was 6 or 7 years ago. So if that is a new model/design, then no. Looking at the website, visually it looks like what I had. (EDIT: At that time, I had spoken to a number of other divers that had the same experience as me. A number of other divers never had an issue. Production run? Possibly. But I was sick of it at the end. EDIT2: It was so bad that I would tape a plastic bag onto my undergarment and then a towel over that to mitigate the leak that I knew would happen. JFC)

But Halcyon/Light Monkey have never leaked, so I'm sticking with that. For a new suit, I wouldn't put on a SiTech valve even if it was free. I'd rather pay for one from H/LM. I'm just done with SiTech.

What possible operator error could there be? I attach the condom catheter. Flip the inside valve to open. Go into water.

After two strikes, SiTech is out for me. Glad you have better success.
I get it, a piece of gear proves problematic several times it becomes hard to get past that.

I get it, a piece of gear proves problematic several times it becomes hard to get past that.
But you're mentioning operator error. I was never dry with the two ones I had. If using a garden hose to rinse through with a slow flow was too much, I don't want it. All I need is to soak and flush. High pressure isn't going to make it cleaner. Bit I didn't even have the chance to do that.

I'm still traumatized! :p

Just my two cents, but I hated using depends. I had a couple accidents and was done with them.
I found no difference between balanced and unbalanced. Mine is a Light Monkey pee vlv, and works perfectly. I blocked off the balance port and I’ve noticed no difference or problems. The large thick neoprene hose that comes with it will not crush, you’d have to use pliers to crush and block it off. You’d also have to work really hard to kink it is nice and long, you just route it coming up your leg, in a U down to the QD or straight into the catheter.

I use a QD, it allows me to get ready at home, and at the dive site, I just put my suit on, and plug in. My QD is a straight through plastic locking one, like sold on DG express, one with a chk vlv might be nice also but could slow the flow.

A good external catheter, good preparation and diligence in cleaning is key. I’ve tried coloplast, nice quality, good for a couple dives easy. Trying out some Hollister ones out right now, better glue than coloplast for sure. Cleaning, after the dive before getting the suit fully doffed, I have a squirt bottle with vinegar, alcohol, and a bit of water in to rinse out the hose in the suit. Do not skip this step, cleanliness is very important to avoid UTI’s. I’ve never had one, the stories alone keep me reminded to keep it clean.

Sometimes I try it out before going in, but if I don’t have to go, kinda hard to make it go. I trust my setup and use it during the dive, so far with no problems. Love being able to drink water before the dive, and during the dive when the urge strikes, I can just go and be comfortable, totally worth the effort in my books.

But you're mentioning operator error. I was never dry with the two ones I had. If using a garden hose to rinse through with a slow flow was too much, I don't want it. All I need is to soak and flush. High pressure isn't going to make it cleaner. Bit I didn't even have the chance to do that.

I'm still traumatized! :p
With the current trigon operator error can be an issue.

Can we get a vote going on balanced vs unbalanced? All things being equal, balanced seems like the way to go, unless they have a very high failure rate. I’d rather not force a pee just to prime the tube.

Can we get a vote going on balanced vs unbalanced? All things being equal, balanced seems like the way to go, unless they have a very high failure rate. I’d rather not force a pee just to prime the tube.
Also, when people say balanced requires more maintenance, are we talking about per dive care or longer-term care. Whenever I get my drysuit, I'm probably going to do 4 tanks a months between warm water trips. At that rate, is it as big a deal?

Also, when people say balanced requires more maintenance, are we talking about per dive care or longer-term care. Whenever I get my drysuit, I'm probably going to do 4 tanks a months between warm water trips. At that rate, is it as big a deal?
There isn’t really much maintenance difference the two types, flush water through it. About once a year I’ll remove mine from the suit and take it apart and soak it, never found an issue but gives me the chance to do a close up inspection.

Force a pee? I'm lucky if I can hold it until I hit the water!

Balanced vs. Unbalanced is a philosophical question. Most users of pee valves are one or the other. It is rare to find someone who is ambivalent, but even those folks exist as you've seen.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is to simply get one! Balanced or unbalanced I don't care, but diving dry without a pee valve is lunacy in my book.

Unbalanced is a hose connected to you going out of the suit. There is an air space in the hose. You need to pee on the surface to fill that air space with liquid. If you don't, the air will contract under the pressure and close itself off. You won't be able to pee as the hose will be pinched flat.
This is the simplest and most reliable design, but you must remember to pee on the surface.
Not necessarily. My p-valve is unbalanced, and although I often do open the valve while standing in the water prior to a dive, I've only primed it with a surface-pee once or twice, and I've never had a problem. *shrug*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom