Padi rescue Diver Swim requirements??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See previous post. Much humble apologising should be imagined from me at the moment.

oh good, coz i didn't remember my instr. telling me that we had to do those things.
he did tell us to get in shape though, coz it's tiring pulling an other diver and practising those exercises. but i should be up for that, just not for any fitness tests.
still a bit worried about the course as i'm not used to diving in fresh water and they might have to save me for real :wink:

TX101:
These sound like padi divemaster requirements.

I have completed padi rescue and can confirm there is no swim test.

Maybe you are confusing ssac and padi mogwai?

nope just mixing up one thing over another thats what i get for not paying attention.

There are definately no specific swimming skill requirements for PADI rescue course like there is for the DM course.

Probably the most physical requirement of PADI rescue is swimming while removing equipment (yours & victims) and simulating rescue breathing on the victim at the same time. Removing the victim from the water can be heavy work too depending on the shape your in and the lbs of the victim.

gedunk:
Probably the most physical requirement of PADI rescue is swimming while removing equipment (yours & victims) and simulating rescue breathing on the victim at the same time. Removing the victim from the water can be heavy work too depending on the shape your in and the lbs of the victim.
And I'm telling you this is worse than swimming 800 meters!!!! I had a guy over 200 lb to carry out of water and continue rescue breathing. Even if I would be bigger still no chance for me to carry that amount of weight (I would then run the Olympic Games for weight lifting :wink: ).
But it's a good course, worth taking.
Mania

Yeah, my rescue class wore me out. It was only two of us taking the class. We are each around 220. After hauling each others butts out of the water for two days, I was glad it was done with!!

LOL .... cut it out you two, your scaring everyone away. :wink:

We do our best to match up body types in the class so a 100 pound person isn't trying to haul a 200 pound person out of the water.

The hauling out part is much less important than demonstrating continual, effect rescue breathing throughout the senarios presented. Learning to keep the head above the water at all times, and displaying good rescue breathing technique are the most important skills learned in this course IMO.

Unless your a Romanian weight lifter, no one expects a 100 pounder to clean and jerk someone twice their weight up on shore or up on a boat by themselves. At least i don't. :wink:

:)

True - doing the rescue breathing while removing gear and swimming was the hardest to do, as far as timing and coordination. Moving my guy around was not the worst part.

gedunk:
Unless your a Romanian weight lifter, no one expects a 100 pounder to clean and jerk someone twice their weight up on shore or up on a boat by themselves. At least i don't. :wink:
Honestly I was glad I had this guy to drag out of the water. After all do we always dive with people we can carry easily? In my case 99% of dives are done with much bigger people (I'm 114 lb) than I. After I completed this exercise I was almost ready for being rescued :wink:
Mania
PS. It's probably - from the fitness point of view - the most difficult course but it's worth doing.

mania:
Honestly I was glad I had this guy to drag out of the water. After all do we always dive with people we can carry easily? In my case 99% of dives are done with much bigger people (I'm 114 lb) than I. After I completed this exercise I was almost ready for being rescued :wink:
Mania

Thats fine if you were comfortable with it, but the point i was trying to make is if you incapacitate yourself lifting too much weight, your not going to be effective rescue breathing. It is a consideration since if you throw your back out so bad you can't rescue breath anymore, it matters not if the victim is out of the water and you might become a victim too.

Effective rescue breathing comes first, removing the victim from the water comes second. Both are important skills but good rescue breathing should take priority.

Back
Top Bottom