Padi rescue Diver Swim requirements??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dweeb:
Then your first priority should be to get 'up' for a fitness test. If you're worried about the requirements, the problem lies not with the requirements, but with your preparation. When I took rescue, one of the simulated scenarios we had to deal with, without any advance clue we would face this, was a participant in the rescue keeling over with a heart attack, because this is an all too common occurrence, because rescues are strenuous AND stressful all at once. There's no point in knowing what to do if you're not capable of actually doing it when the chips are down.

If you're getting into diving enough to pursue your rescue cert, it's time to get off the fence and accept the fact that you're involved in an activity that can become physically challenging in a life or death way without warning, and commit to any lifestyle changes necessary to meet that challenge. If that means a healthier diet, or hitting the gym or track a few times a week, then so be it.

If you are really that intimidated, then you should take a few specialties, or just get more diving in, before taking the course. Anxiety interferes with learning. Put it off and take the time to get in better shape and dive more, then you'll have two fewer worries distracting you from learning.

i understand your points and respect your opinion, but it wasn't like that. i was worried about lake diving, but having dived in the sea, that was my only worry. so why not take an extreme situation and make it a bit worse :wink:
by the way, being afraid of something, doesn't mean you should blow it off! and what better course to dive in a lake for the first time than with experienced divers learning to be rescuers?
i had my first course on saturday and i must admit it was hell. i have never been so kaputt after diving. yes, i know get in shape, bla bla bla, but in real life i won't have to continue rescuing ppl from 10 am to 5pm. all the same i agree that getting in shape is important. it's strenous saving someone and doing 3 tasks at once. personally i would do it differently as in the course. i wouldn't breathe, swim and remove equipment at the same time. i'd more likely breathe and swim and at the shore begin removing equipment and breathing, giving me only 2 tasks at a time and i doubt i'd be much slower. i'm 1,56 cm and doubt my buddy will ever be smaller than me.

I've pass the rescue as well...there is swimming...and a lot of kicking and hauling "unconcious victims" from the bottom, but realax and have fun. Its a mentally challenging program as well as physical, but I passed it and enjoyed it and I was saving a 220lbs man :)

My son and I just finished our rescue Diver yesterday. We ended up tired after the class was over but we learned a lot and had tons of fun specially when we thought we were done and all of a sudden our instructor had one last rescue for us!
There was a lot of problem solving involved specially when my son's victim was a 200 pound guy and mine was like 280 pounds. All in all we learned a lot and had a blast.

gedunk:
Well thats just great for then but this is now. It has no place in todays rescue course so i don't see the value of mentioning it today. It just confuses people about what to expect IMO.

If they're that easily confused I don't want them diving, let alone rescuing anyone.

This is something that bothers me some - the whole idea of these threads where someone wants to know what to expect in a given course, always with an undertone of anxiety over the difficulty. Look around, people. See how many instructors and DM's are out of shape and how many are too dumb to be allowed to walk the streets unsupervised. MILLIONS of people pass these courses, and none of them comes from the planet Krypton. Anyone who has any anxiety about the difficulty of any PADI course needs to look in the mirror and ask, "What kind of helpless boob do I see myself as?"

If you're considering a PADI course, and have any doubts as to whether it's too hard, repeat after me "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!" If, after that, you still have rational concerns based on empirical aspects of yourself, set about to change those aspects and then take the course.

gedunk:
Rescue breathing is only simulated today, in any rescue course i have ever heard of or taught.

Not because it's a bad idea per se, but because of the new diseases out there that people are so anxious about.
The first time I took CPR, there was no such thing as a pocket mask, either.

gedunk:
So what speed was your vinyl turning when you took it ..... 33-1/3? :wink:

and 45.

underwater daphne:
i understand your points and respect your opinion, but it wasn't like that. i was worried about lake diving, but having dived in the sea, that was my only worry.

And my point was that, if something as minor as a switch from saltwater to fresh elicits anxiety, then you need to dive more and gain more experience, to the point where such a minor change from what you're used to is not such an issue.

underwater daphne:
by the way, being afraid of something, doesn't mean you should blow it off!

I never said blow it off. I said don't be afraid, and suggested how to get to that point. For some people, "don't be afraid of it" means they simply decide to "flip a switch" in their head and that's it. For some, it may require more.

Classic example - waiting in line for a roller coaster.
Some people are anxious. Some of them, you can explain to them that millions ride it every year and are fine, and if it was any more dangerous than crossing the street, the park wouldn't be able to get insurance and the gates would never open, and they can take that cognitive knowledge and apply it, and end their anxiety. Others need to ride it a few hundred times before they stop white knuckling it. Do whatever works for you, but put the anxiety behind you so you can learn.

underwater daphne:
i had my first course on saturday and i must admit it was hell. i have never been so kaputt after diving. yes, i know get in shape, bla bla bla, but in real life i won't have to continue rescuing ppl from 10 am to 5pm.

No, a real rescue will likely take as much out of you in 5 minutes as the course did in 7 hours. That's the point.

underwater daphne:
all the same i agree that getting in shape is important. it's strenous saving someone and doing 3 tasks at once.

No, you'll be doing 5. Again, that's the point.

well, it seems you've been rescuing a lot of ppl.

and the adrenaline kick in a real rescue kinda helps too.

and somehow i feel like i'm being attacked by someone who doesn't know me or the whole story, even though you might not intend to make me feel that way.

why should ppl not feel anxiety if something is new and when they don't know what to expect? for me that's normal human behavior and a reason why i hang around these forums.

and yes i was in a lake before and froze. i became really aggressive and very angry because the instructors ignored my signs of being cold. i wasn't wearing a suitable wetsuit and no one told me that. that kinda makes you anxious about going into a lake again. and make you wanna know more about what you're getting into at the rescue course.

underwater daphne:
and somehow i feel like i'm being attacked by someone who doesn't know me or the whole story, even though you might not intend to make me feel that way.
Dweeb has that affect on people, it's best just to ignore him.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom