PADI's Course Rush

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colliam -- Thank you for a well thought out post. I KNOW it is "well thought out" because it is what I think!:wink:
And, Peter, a compliment like that coming from you is the highest praise I could ask for! :)

Honestly, after reading this ENTIRE thread, I can say this and MEAN IT:

I rather need "rescue" in the presence of a Rescue Diver with NO supervised dives, than need "Rescue" with an OW or AOW diver with no supervised dives.... Granted the better alternative would be to dive with a more experienced diver ( whether through logged bottom time, or courses, or a mixture of both ) BUT I would ALWAYS PREFER FOR THEM TO ATLEAST KNOW THE SKILLS albeit subpar, then not know them at all.... And that's just the reality of it. I would prefer EVERYONE to be ATLEAST Rescue Diver.... Wouldn't you ?

Honestly, after reading this ENTIRE thread, I can say this and MEAN IT:

I rather need "rescue" in the presence of a Rescue Diver with NO supervised dives, than need "Rescue" with an OW or AOW diver with no supervised dives.... Granted the better alternative would be to dive with a more experienced diver ( whether through logged bottom time, or courses, or a mixture of both ) BUT I would ALWAYS PREFER FOR THEM TO ATLEAST KNOW THE SKILLS albeit subpar, then not know them at all.... And that's just the reality of it. I would prefer EVERYONE to be ATLEAST Rescue Diver.... Wouldn't you ?

Agree to a point. I agree with 20 logged dives as a requirement in the past was a stretch. My thought has been that OW course should include some very basic rescue stuff, other than simply a tired diver tow. Maybe bringing up someone from depth without causing lung overexpansion. Maybe some pointers and practise on what to do with a panicked diver on the surface or below. Nothing too complicated, but some very basics. Nothing that would increase the class or pool time so much as to raise the course fee enough to elliminate students (we can't do that, can we?). Then go for Rescue cert. when more experienced.

What is the bugaboo concerning rescue? I know plenty of non-PADI Instructors who teach a full, "unconscious diver on the bottom, surface, breathe and transport with continuous rescue breathing," kind of rescue in their entry level classes, the students do fine. What seems to be the real issue here?

SEI also has unconscious diver from depth, towing with gear removal, panicked diver at surface and at depth, and I add supporting a diver at the surface who has suffered failure of the BC. All in the OW class. I have added more rescue skills in the AOW class I offer.

What is the bugaboo concerning rescue? I know plenty of non-PADI Instructors who teach a full, "unconscious diver on the bottom, surface, breathe and transport with continuous rescue breathing," kind of rescue in their entry level classes, the students do fine. What seems to be the real issue here?

SEI does it as part of the Basic OW course. One of the last required set of skills of the pool session.

I see no big deal of PADI having back to back courses. Its marketing genius actually.

I have yet to have heard of a "bad" instructor that I actually knew, knew of or knew of anyone who actually knew one. Hear about them all the time, but they are as easy to find as the Loch Ness Monster.

It all really comes down to Bad students....I've seen many bad students, not badly taught, just bad practitioners of what they learned. That is why some students need immediate continued education, such as AOW, Rescue, specialties and so on and should be encouraged to take those courses ASAP.

Then there are the exceptional students that quickly gain the skills in an OW class. They put those skills right into use and strive for more and immediately sign up for the Advanced classes.

Like I said above, Marketing genius!

I do find the "my Certifying Agency is better than yours" debate nothing more than self justification of ones need to feel superior.

Marketing genius or more like the child who after murdering his parents threw himself in the mercy of the court because he was an orphan?

PADI was the "pioneer" who removed things like buoyancy control, gas planning and rescue from the entry level course in order to cut the time required in a little less than half. Now do you see the connection?

YMCA for one......but they weren't catering to the same target market that PADI is. :)

I try not to be overly critical of PADI anymore.......I'm not in their target audience either. ;-)

-Mitch

YMCA=SEI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom