Prerequisites ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just curious ... from those of you who have taken one ... what were the prerequisites for your solo diving class?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The only solo class I know of is the SDI course and the prereqs are posted on the website along with an outline.

I teach this class so here you go.
SOLO Pre-Requisites SDI

Minimum age :21
Miminmum certification of AOW or equivalent
Minimum of 100 logged dives
Completed Medical Release Form
Completed Waiver and Release Form

Required Equipment:
1. Basic OW scuba equipment with the exception of a safe second or octo is not allowed as a redundant air source
2. One of the following must be used as a redundant air source:
Pony Bottle, Twin Cylinders with isolation, Independent doubles, Spare Air

Also note that SDI consideres AOW certification to be having logged 25 dives and completed 4 specialties

GDI:
2. One of the following must be used as a redundant air source:
Pony Bottle, Twin Cylinders with isolation, Independent doubles, Spare Air

I did not know that SDI considered Spare Air as a redundant air source. What's your take on that, GDI?

Rick Inman:
I did not know that SDI considered Spare Air as a redundant air source. What's your take on that, GDI?

They are crap You pay as much as you would for a pony and a standard reg setup and you don't have that much air.
That list is right out of the instructor manual. My personal take is that I laughed every time I saw a member of Baywatch (TV program) use one to enter a seacave and in heroic fashion save someone from their own stupidity. I would not personally accept it as a redundant air source even though it is listed in standards.

Rick Inman:
I did not know that SDI considered Spare Air as a redundant air source.

I've got no problem with it for shallower diving.

PS to my lasy postings. The reg you select for a pony bottle should not be some economy cheapo reg. This is a bailout redundant system that your life may depend on so don't put a cheapo value on your life in a emergency situation. Get a quality reg, one comparable if not identical to your main reg, and it should have the same connection type DIN or yoke, DIN preferred for all regs and valves

GDI:
PS to my lasy postings. The reg you select for a pony bottle should not be some economy cheapo reg. This is a bailout redundant system that your life may depend on so don't put a cheapo value on your life in a emergency situation. Get a quality reg, one comparable if not identical to your main reg, and it should have the same connection type DIN or yoke, DIN preferred for all regs and valves
Which is why I use, with my pony, a Poseidon Cyklon. Not the best breather on the planet, but I know the old work-horse is gonna breath, at depth, ice cold, whatever....

But, I'm wondering, why the same connection type. You're not going to switch regs underwater...???

GDI:
Get a quality reg, one comparable if not identical to your main reg, and it should have the same connection type DIN or yoke, DIN preferred for all regs and valves

I agree Rick, & i don't/won't own an "Spare Air" for the type of diving i typically do either but i think they have their place.

I know a few very experienced phtographer/videographers that love them for the shallow reef work they do, rather than lug a larger stage along on every dive. Which is likely one reason they get mentioned in standards.

MikeFerrara:
The only solo class I know of is the SDI course and the prereqs are posted on the website along with an outline.
ANDI has had a Solo class for several years.. It is a technical rating not a recreationalrating like SDI.

Our solo class requires a full tech rig, and the diver must already be certified as a basic technical diver (or take that in conjuction with the solo class)with all its pre requisites and must be at least 21 years of age.

Back
Top Bottom