Prerequisites ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Here's what I don't get - you profess to admire the uncompromising training you got in the old days and look down on the watered-down training popular today, yet when it comes time to take one of these modern classes it appears that you also find the new-fangled training to be too uncompromising. In the venacular, wazzupwidat?"

Wife had to run into the hospital for emergency call so I got a few minutes to answer.

Whover started logging dives I don't know, I don't remember there being a fuss about it until around 1980 give or take. Soooo, you accept videos as proof for your course--lol!
My problem it seems with some training methods is that it appears to be equipment dependent, their all about new topline equipment, I could be wrong, not meant as an insult. Since I have been around diving for over 30 years I have seen fads come and go and certain types of equipment currently in use now will soon fall into oblivion. Heck, I dove with a group out of Tampa to the Middle grounds and you could not dive with them unless you had a SpareAir-they forced me to rent one. Went with a club out of Houston once to the Flower Gardens and they all had those new Air One things and huge consoles dangling and banging and they thought I looked bizzare with my back wing and guages on my wrist---my--my--my---how things change--I still have and dive the same equipement and darn if it isn't almost back in style again--lol. The Conshelf is adequate for you too unless you are diving 500 feet so I guess I continue to disagree. Further, the standard yoke is more than adequate, failures happen even with DIN, they are unusual. I don't think your correct in the assumption that diving with yoke equipped equipment is dangerous in and off itself or that it indicates that an individual is poorely prepared or inadequately trained or equipped. Next they will be telling me I cannot dive with a yoke until another 20 years pass and they come back into style--this is all style and fad driven--almost all of it. I just don't see how so many of us made it this far if everything we have been doing was so dangerous or poorely thought out.
You know, I think it is the style driven, got to have the latest and newest this or that that gets my attention. Dive gear is such a smoke and mirrors thing anyways. The gear is never really tested against one another in a scientific way and they all claim to pass the Navy or whatever standard they just made up, heck, there was a thread on this board where it was mentioned that some fins have more "torque". It is not the equipment that makes the diver.
Actually, thanks for your promoting solo diving and taking the time to teach it, just becasue I don't agree with every little thing does not mean I don't appreciate what your trying to do--produce competent and safe divers. Thanks for your efforts and Merry Christmas. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom