Question from member wishing to remain anonymous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be sure, there are certain policies in place when this happens. However, I am with Ann Marie here... I would like to hear what my fellow ScubaBoardians would like us to do with these individuals when they are ferreted out.

ScubaBoard already has a policy about SockPuppets. When one is ferreted out, why not just disable the account and delete all posts made by that sock puppet, and put the offender's real account on vacation?

ScubaBoard already has a policy about SockPuppets.
As I said.
When one is ferreted out, why not just disable the account and delete all posts made by that sock puppet, and put the offender's real account on vacation?
It depends on circumstances. Sometimes it's done from ignorance while other times the reason is far more malicious. Sometimes we delete the sockpuppet outright, and some times we merge it with the initial account. We try not to make hasty decisions without figuring out motives.

But the real point of the thread is to see what ScubaBoardians want us to do with these miscreants.

Rick Inman:
A smart person wouldn't use their real name for there screen name, Phil.
Damn, I guess I really messed that up!
Further evidence that we don't administer IQ tests to our Mod Squad!!! :)

"I'm all for the mod input on this,but this poster is just not responding. 2 PM's
I want to give him to 12.00 GMT after that.....he's a troll or just a......"

Web: divers paradise - intro
info@diversparadise.nl

2 PM's 5 1/2 hours apart?!

I didn't spend my entire day yesterday sitting in front of my computer, monitoring scubaboard for your PMs!

I think your post and your arbitrary time frame for response is a bit inappropriate. Especially the "troll" comment. And especially for a moderator.

Get rid of them.

They do you no good whatsoever, or the rest of the members who are honestly seeking real information.

While I can see that "handles" and anonymity are suitable for private individuals, as soon as that enters the arena of business I believe that changes. If you want to keep your business affiliations private....don't advertise. If you want to advertise...be prepared to be absolutely honest about who you are.
I agree.

I think a lot of people come to this board looking for honest, objective advice on dive resorts or dive ops, stores, etc . . .

Certainly, if a resort or dive op owner or employee fabricates a profile, posing as a fellow traveler/diver and dispenses advice or repeatedly writes glowing reviews of their own business without disclosing their affiliation, it does damage to the integrity of this board. Those types of reviews are not objective or honest. And, obviously, neither is the intent of the person writing them.

It's unfortunate that this is necessary, but I guess the best solution may be to check the post history of the person dispensing the advice. If all that person ever does is repeatedly recommend ABC resort at ABC island and always say that ABC resort is better than XYZ resort, it might be a safe guess that the profile is a "sock puppet".

Wearing my Mod Hat.

If members suspect sock puppets they need to report that using the report button found on every post at the bottom left.

Members should not take it upon themselves to attempt to question other members about such activity. We have a team of folks that have tools available to help us identify this type of activity, and we have the power to handle these situations from an administrative standpoint.

Our policy is innocent until proven otherwise, and we don't want our members taking these types of investigations upon themselves.

We want to promote a friendly environment, and having members accuse one another of violations does nothing to promote a friendly atmosphere, in fact the opposite. The Staff is here so support our members, and I would encourage folks to use the report button, and sit back and allow the Staff to handle these types of issues.

It's always good to get feedback on our policies, but enforcing them is something different, and needs to be done via the Staff.

A smart person wouldn't use their real name for there screen name, Phil.

Hi Rick. I use my real name because I am associated with a commercial operation within the industry associated with the subject matter of this board. I also participate on other "scuba" boards, and always use me real name. I don't want anyone to have the impression that I am "posing" as anything other that what I am. I don't need to by anonymous. And, I don't have any sock puppets nor have I ever made a sinle post under any screen name other than my own.

Phil Ellis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom