Questions about BP/W Comfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you worried about it being soft and comfortable Go with the infinity from Halcyon or Diverite Transpac. Both are padded for comfort. I have used the Infinity and it's nice and soft. Transpac feels soft.

Halcyon
Infinity_ACB_bl.jpg

Diverite
1710.jpg

If you worried about it being soft and comfortable Go with the infinity from Halcyon or Diverite Transpac. Both are padded for comfort. I have used the Infinity and it's nice and soft. Transpac feels soft.

Halcyon
Infinity_ACB_bl.jpg

Diverite
1710.jpg

If someone has to put a big pad underneath their plate, then it doesn't seem like a very well thought out design for comfort, does it?

How is it that Halcyon was the first to offer a super basic stripped down no frills Hog rig with just straight webbing Etc., and now they seem to be leading the industry with these new gimmicked up BP/W setups with fluff. :confused:

Kind of a 180 from their original beliefs, don't ya think?

If someone has to put a big pad underneath their plate, then it doesn't seem like a very well thought out design for comfort, does it?

How is it that Halcyon was the first to offer a super basic stripped down no frills Hog rig with just straight webbing Etc., and now they seem to be leading the industry with these new gimmicked up BP/W setups with fluff. :confused:

Kind of a 180 from their original beliefs.

Just like Ford did with the Thunderbird, taking it from a two seater sports car into a six passenger land yacht.

$820.00 bucks for that sucker from Extreme Exposure - I just looked it up because I was curious.
Damn!!!
Talk about the "H" tax!:shocked2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I dive the simple one "Halcyon Eclipse" No pad's needed for me. I find it quite comfortable as it is. But then again I have never dove it with nothing on. I use it and only dive so far in my drysuit. I have put it on with a T-shirt in the in the shop. to check out the Cinch system. which is pretty cool but I always dive with a buddy if I should need a hand to get out. But the pads did make it softer on your shoulders. I know people who upgraded there standard and notice know different other then easier on there shoulder and easier to get in and out of the rig. No harder to move through the water.

I can see with diving the doubles and the extra weight I am sure the pads help. but once again for me not worth spending the extra cash. If they come out with special deal would I get it, It's possible.

If you have not seen the cinch system yet check it out here:

http://www.halcyon.net/bc/cinch/videos

ZKY:
How is it that Halcyon was the first to offer a super basic stripped down no frills Hog rig with just straight webbing Etc., and now they seem to be leading the industry with these new gimmicked up BP/W setups with fluff.

Not to disrespect a22shady in any way, but those rigs are an awful lot of bulk to wear, push through the water, and ship compared to the simple wing and back pack.

You both should check out the Infinity/Cinch system in person before you judge it too harshly. It's a simple upgrade on any Halcyon BP/W. I think you'll find that there's very little in the way of additional bulk, and the system itself is quite simple (still a one-piece continuous harness, for example). The shoulder pads are easily removable, but aren't generally obtrusive (and don't seem buoyant). The backplate pad is slightly more comfortable than the typical storage pack (from which it inherits the SMB pocket), but you could take it or leave it. The ACB pockets are optional and easily removed (or added) just as they would be on any plate/wing/harness system. The Cinch itself (by far and away the most controversial aspect) is really well designed (IMO), and adds a bit of flexibility without sacrificing the simplicity of the harness. This is a far cry from some of the other pseudo-tec BCs I've seen, which tend to look a lot more like a Knighthawk with extra buckles and a ton of (rather inexplicable) extra D-rings.

I can't speak for the TransPac.

I started off with a TransPac II with all the padding and cumberbund crap before I learned better. It held water and took forever to try and some of it was itchy as well. I've found the extra padding to be completely unnecessary and more of a pain than anything else. My opinion, others may vary.

You both should check out the Infinity/Cinch system in person before you judge it too harshly. It's a simple upgrade on any Halcyon BP/W...

Seen it, never dove it. Simple is a relative term. The Oxycheq Ultra Lite Travel Backplate weighs 9.6 oz/272 grams without straps and can be found for $44.00.

Attachments

• tmp.jpg
    tmp.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 54
I've worn my BP wing with no shirt or exposure protection whatsoever. No problems.

Me too and I agree. The only time the rig actually rubs on you is above water. If you were going for an overland hike with this rig (which I have done) then you might want some shoulder padding, but for short walks or boat dives it is not a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom