Questions about BP/W Comfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJ showed my buddy and me the Cinch system at BTS a few weeks ago. Granted he could've been blowing smoke, but he told us he uses a Cinch system, and even likes the new shoulder pads when diving without exposure protection :shrug:

Henrik

Just like Lamar Hires uses the Transpac to do cave exploration diving with. But then what do these guys know about real diving anyway?

Sorry. I'm old and easily confused. When did a few straps and an air bladder become a religious experience? How does some's personal preference diminish your very existence? Is pjones really taking a motorcycle to Australia to pick up chicks?

Back up to a wall. Can you touch your spine to the wall with your back flat against the wall?
Tobin

Ha Ha Ha, It was only a concern to me for when I would be hunched over a little and walking. I've had problems with it rubbing in those circumstances although involving an entirely different activity (Karting) :)

Where and when are you going to Aussie?

You may find that you want to wear some form of exposure suit - particularly if you are diving multiple days on a liveaboard. It may only be a 2mm shorty, but don't expect it to be uber-warm water. We were diving at Ningaloo last June, and water was a fairly cool 21 degC!!

I'm planing on going sometime around January. I understand that the weather is supposed to be nice that time of year. I will need to play it as I go and I'm trying to keep my options open as far as my Exposure protection goes. I am still quite new to diving and it really comes down to the fact that I just don't know how much thermal protection I will need for tropical diving.

A decent backplate and wing can be found for hundreds less than a conventional BC. As I mentioned, simply removing the weight keeper from the right side allows the right shoulder section of the harness to loosen when you open the buckle. I began diving in a hardpack, then switched to BCs for several years. After switching to a backplate s decade ago, I'll never use a poodle jacket again.

I kinda figured that their design was really the absence of a couple of keepers from the system. I recall one post about a fellow who didn't like the shoulders adjusting that way and wanted to know how to keep them put. I just couldn't quite see the design from the videos that I was looking at. Although I want to gear towards tech diving I'm leaning towards the Freedom Plate for now. It sounds like its a comfy plate all on its own but would like to see some side and top profile pictures of the plate. Would anybody that has a plate be willing to provide those pictures for me please?

freedom-mach2.jpg

64299d1251344634-new-freedom-plates-here-p1010089.jpg

64301d1251344691-new-freedom-plates-here-p1010093.jpg

64638d1251837986-new-freedom-plates-here-p1010116-1.jpg

64636d1251837903-new-freedom-plates-here-p1010111.jpg

Those are excellent quality photos and exactly what I was looking for thanks!

I, too, dive a Freedom Plate. Mine is a prototype model, and doesn't have that channel you have in those (large!) pictures. The DSS wing I'm using with it has molded rubber tank grips, so in the end it is totally stable. It is just an amazing plate, very nice and light and streamlined. It curves to the back very, very nicely and when I dive I barely notice it's there.

Well, that's not true. I'm still in that stage where I reach back, feel the plate, and squee with happiness. I bought it sight unseen after hearing rave reviews on here, and I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase.

I have several wings and plates including the Oxy fabric ultralight plate and Freedom Plate and conventional plates such as the Hammerhead. I find all of them completely comfortable with just a rash guard shirt. Until a few days ago I had never--NEVER--had a conventional jacket aka Poodle Jacket on in my life. However, due to certain conditions and my leaving my BP/wing at home planning to use a military harness instead, well, I changed my mind. Sooo, I rented a new Scuba Pro Equator poodle jacket. I liked it completely, comfortable, easy to use, liked the weight integration too. I did have my trim off, my feet kept dropping and I did not have time to increase my trim weights, I am sure I could have dialed it in perfectly. I enjoyed using it greatly. But, I have decided, I will not be buying one as I had been contemplating, I much prefer either nothing or my wing and plate. But I will be adding weight integration pockets, other thoughts aside, I like not dealing with a weight belt and I think for moderate to minimal exposure protection the downsides are minimal.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom