Questions about BP/W Comfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seen it, never dove it. Simple is a relative term. The Oxycheq Ultra Lite Travel Backplate weighs 9.6 oz/272 grams without straps and can be found for $44.00.

Fair enough - I certainly won't disagree with you there. I was primarily responding to the idea that the Infinity package was significantly more "gimmicky" or complicated than a typical plate/wing/harness setup in common usage. My primary reference point is divers in the Monterey, CA area - which I can certainly appreciate is more than a bit different than no-suit warm water vacation diving, especially when traveling with gear.

You both should check out the Infinity/Cinch system in person before you judge it too harshly. It's a simple upgrade on any Halcyon BP/W. I think you'll find that there's very little in the way of additional bulk, and the system itself is quite simple (still a one-piece continuous harness, for example).
I removed the weight keeper from the right side of the webbing. The harness loosens when I open the buckle and I adjust the fit by simply pulling more or less webbing through the buckle. No added gimmicks needed. No extra cost.

Thank you so much for the responses so far guys!
I have never been diving around anything more dangerous than a starfish so i haven't really given much thought to the the fact that everything in the warmer waters is trying to kill you. It sounds like wearing a skin suit is the safer way to go. That takes care of the abrasion part of the problem with the straps. I suspect I will be doing a mix of both shore and boat diving so walking in the gear is a possibility. I'm still kicking around the idea of the Freedom Plate but looking at the pictures it looks like its just a flat plate where as other plates have a series of bends that would keep the plate positioned away from the spine. I'm quite a skinny guy and my spine has a tendency to stick out like a stegosaurus, Not much I can do about that. Do you think that would be a concern of mine with the Freedom Plate or is there something that i'm not seeing in the photos?
That infinity cinch Looks like a comfy ride but is above my price range. Both my fiance and I are just starting out so were basically buying 2 of everything :crying2:

Thanks again for all the helpful posts and ideas.

I switched to a backplate wing set up several years ago and have tried a number of harness types. For a while I used a one piece harness but two years ago I put a single "break" on the left shoulder. Most of my dives are in warm water and I find the plate and a simple harness the most comfortable rig I have used. I usually wear a dive skin or rash vest but even on the few occasions I haven't I have not ghad any problems. (But dont leave a steel plate in the sun too long or it can be a bit hot when you pick it up!!)

If someone has to put a big pad underneath their plate, then it doesn't seem like a very well thought out design for comfort, does it?

How is it that Halcyon was the first to offer a super basic stripped down no frills Hog rig with just straight webbing Etc., and now they seem to be leading the industry with these new gimmicked up BP/W setups with fluff. :confused:

Kind of a 180 from their original beliefs, don't ya think?

Why don't you call up Jarrod Jablonski and tell him that he don't know nuthin' about diving?

Do the same to Lamar Hires too.

These two sissy boys should listen to you about how a real diver goes about kitting his gears.

If the Infinity system is too much and the extra Padding and adjustability is not a issue. Go with the Halcyon Eclipse. It's 100 less and talk to some dealers and you may even be able to get a little discount going. I was in the position last year about buying gear for two. It is alot but the investment you just made will most likely last your diving career. The Halcyon system "and other im Sure" will grow with you. If in 2 years you want to dive doubles it's as simple as getting a doubles wing and mounting it to you Backplate.

10-Eclipse-System_c200.jpg

Why don't you call up Jarrod Jablonski and tell him that he don't know nuthin' about diving?

Do the same to Lamar Hires too.

These two sissy boys should listen to you about how a real diver goes about kitting his gears.

Maybe it's just me, but I don’t understand how these comments are justified, informative, or relevant — especially in response to valid observation from a thoughtful and generous member of this board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom