Recommendations on Hotels/Resorts in Cozumel/Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend you look at Scuba Club Cozumel. It isn't fancy, like a real Mexican style hacienda. No tv or phones, but you have internet access. What makes it great is that it is a smaller dive oriented resort, all-inclusive meals which are not the standard AI buffet crappy food. The food at SCC is waiter service with really good food, lucious desserts, etc. Check out my photos and trip reports. It is walking distance to town so if you want to go there to shop or for a dinner it is no big deal. Also, we saw several couples there last trip where the husband went out diving and the wife stayed by pool or went shopping during day. One lady we spoke with was a former diver and she loved coming to SCC even though she doesn't dive anymore. Check out SCC. We love it, and we have stayed all over the island in past 10 yrs.
Cozumel Scuba Diving at Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop

my trip reports and photos: Cozumel - April 2010

SCC475.JPG

to book a trip there, go through one of the dive travel agencies.
Island Dreams Travel scuba diving vacations,
Caradonna Dive Adventures
we have used both of these and were very satisfied.

robin:D

IF a pool is a big feature, the largest pool is at Hotel Cozumel. Plus within easy walking distance to town for meals too.

The pool at Hotel Cozumel may be the biggest, but in my opinion the pools at both the Grand & Iberostar are nicer. There's more to a pool than it's volume or square footage.

Wyndham would work well for you. It has a nice beach, spa, 4 pools, and its only a 5 minute boat ride to the dive sites. You can get a great deal with Orbitz 200ENTERTAIN discount code.

UPDATE:

I booked my trip! I decided on staying in Playa Del Carmen since some other scubaboard members thought it might be more fun for my wife, since she doesn't dive. Thanks for the tip on the Orbitz coupon code, I used it and save $200 on my hotel/airfare :). We're staying at the Riu Palace Mexico AI resort in PDC for 9 nights. Leaving for the trip in less than two weeks.

So I guess my plan will be to take the ferry over to Cozumel to dive there at some point on the trip. So far I've contacted ScorpioDivers and Geofish dive operators via email. Will wait for them to reply tomorrow. Do you guys have any other dive op recommendations or general recommendations for the trip?

Would your wife be interested in snorkeling? I just did a snorkel pool class for my daughter, grandson, our German student, and daughter's mom in preparation for a day on Coz in a couple of weeks. I was surprised that her mom enjoyed it so much, but then that's an ollllld story.

As long as you're going to be on the peninsula, there are interesting ruins and cenotes (sinkholes, caves) many find very interesting. Locogringo is a good info source. See cancunmap.com-Your information source for best maps. Do get the Cancun airport and Mayan Adventure maps for sure, but there are others there probly worth the money.

I rent cars from Easyway but there are cautions about renting in Mexico if you're interested.

What else interests you?

Would your wife be interested in snorkeling? I just did a snorkel pool class for my daughter, grandson, our German student, and daughter's mom in preparation for a day on Coz in a couple of weeks. I was surprised that her mom enjoyed it so much, but then that's an ollllld story.

As long as you're going to be on the peninsula, there are interesting ruins and cenotes (sinkholes, caves) many find very interesting. Locogringo is a good info source. See cancunmap.com-Your information source for best maps. Do get the Cancun airport and Mayan Adventure maps for sure, but there are others there probly worth the money.

I rent cars from Easyway but there are cautions about renting in Mexico if you're interested.

What else interests you?

My wife has a small phobia of the ocean. I think she's seen too many scary shark TV shows :). So she's somewhat hesitant to snorkel, but I am set on at least getting her to snorkel with me. So snorkeling is definitely a MUST for us on this trip. Though I'm not sure where to do it yet.

I ended up just booking a round-trip shuttle from the airport to PDC with Good-Day. Cost $90 roundtrip for both of us. They have good reviews from what I found and I just decided that paying a few extra bucks for the transportation to/from the airport for our first trip to this area was a safe bet.

Do you recommend we bring a pocket translator or anything for any potential language barrier issues? Both my wife and I only know small bits of spanish.

Welllll, I am not a married man - but forcing her into the ocean might backfire. If she wants to snorkel, there are Operators on Coz that do boat dives, cheaper ones that do lame shore dives, or a park there that some enjoy snorkeling in. It might be nice if her husband joined her on a snorkel boat outing, but in a nice & helpful way. :eyebrow:

Since you are staying at PDC, you might want to ask about snorkel Ops over there, on your thread on the main Mexico forum. With $26 RT ferry trips per person and cab fares, you'll probly do more over there.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/me...ya-del-carmen-later-month-need-some-tips.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/me...i-trip-january-2011-need-recommendations.html

But if you both do a day trip to Coz, you might be able to get an Op to take you on a couple of shallow reef dives and let your wife go on the same boat to snorkel, maybe? It'd be pricey as she'd need a separate DM, but nice way to keep y'all together.

A pocket translator might be helpful if you already own one. I wouldn't buy one as the locals are mostly accommodating, many speaking good English.

Back
Top Bottom