Scubapro MK11 first stage can't deliver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajo007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Scubapro MK11 first stage where I want to fit a S600 second stage; however the dive shop advised that I should also replace the MK11 with a MK17 as the MK11 can not deliver the air the S600 is capable of conveying. However looking at the specifications it seems the MK11 is identical to the MK17 except for the dry chamber so I wonder if that is actually correct or the dive shop just tries to make a bit extra cash of it.
I dive in tropic and temperate water within the recreational limits.

Find another dive shop; you cannot trust the idiots who told you that. Either they lied in order to sell you more equipment, or they told gave you information where they should have known better.

couv hit it on the head, as is usual. The Mk 11 is the same internally as the Mk 17. The 17 has a sealed diaphragm chamber added for cold water and not-so-clean water diving. Beyond that, same mechanisms, same flow rates. For warmer water a Mk 11 pairs nicely with a 600. Enjoy!

Sounds like they are just trying to sell you a new reg.

Good one! Add this to the impressive list of dive shop quotes. Nice to know we don't have a monopoly on goofy dive shop employees on this side of the pond.

Even the lowly MK2 flows much more air (about 100 SCFM) than any 2nd stage can handle. (maybe 65 under max purge) Don't forget that the tank valve is the usually the weak link in terms of potential flow.

I suppose i should be used to it by now, but the self-serving bulls**t which is proffered by some dive shops never ceases to amaze me.

The choices here are bleak - ignorant about the products they sell or dishonest. You want nothing to do with them either way.

SP states you can mix and match any first and second stage combination, the problem is that they package them in a way that implie entry level, intermediate and advanced applications with the Mk 2 being entry level, the Mk 11 being on the low end of interdmediate with the Mk 17 being intermediate and the Mk 25 being "advanced". None of it is really true, it's just a marketign ploy to sell a diver 2 or 3 regs over their career.

Back
Top Bottom