Shearwater computer help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Chanly83 Does your LDS have both in stock? They may want you to buy the Perdix because it is in stock and easier to get, thus insuring the sale. If they don't have the Teric, they may be afraid you will go to another source for the sale.

I'm not saying this is so. The thought just went through my distrusting mind. My trusting mind is good with it.

Cheers -

@MargaritaMike he actually is a Suunto dealer not shearwater but said he can get either one in. I actually just starting diving in September so after I passed my OW I gave him several thousand and just starting making a list of things I wanted, so he already has my money. I think I am going to drive to Dive Right in Scuba maybe next weekend with my dry suit to try them on my wrist and to buy the Ultima DGS for my D1 Hybrid. I have to admit I like shiny new things so the Teric has me interested but after all the replies (minus everyone’s foot fetish) I think I am firmly in the Perdix AI camp. Next question what is everyone using to power their Perdix, when I called DRS yesterday they recommended Saft batteries.

I just use the average Energizer batteries I already had around the house.

I use the elastic straps that come with it. No way am I using bungee or surgical tubing for a computer this expensive. But that’s just me.

@MargaritaMike he actually is a Suunto dealer not shearwater but said he can get either one in. I actually just starting diving in September so after I passed my OW I gave him several thousand and just starting making a list of things I wanted, so he already has my money. I think I am going to drive to Dive Right in Scuba maybe next weekend with my dry suit to try them on my wrist and to buy the Ultima DGS for my D1 Hybrid. I have to admit I like shiny new things so the Teric has me interested but after all the replies (minus everyone’s foot fetish) I think I am firmly in the Perdix AI camp. Next question what is everyone using to power their Perdix, when I called DRS yesterday they recommended Saft batteries.

Going to DRIS is like being in a candy shop for a sugar addict. :p

No need to put saft batteries in a perdix. They are like $9-12 each around me and I can get 60 + dives out of a regular energizer AA that are sold 8 for $5. I use Saft's in my Predator because that's what it was designed to use. If there was a way to get away from them I would in a heartbeat.
I may start using eneloop AA's in my perdixes because I've moved to them for my photography flashes and strobes. Now that I have a couple dozen of those with two chargers (hopefully more on the way for Christmas) they will be more economical and not having to dispose of as many batteries is a good thing.

I use bungees on the perdixes, factory straps on the predator because I haven't gotten around to modifying the mount for bungee use. If you use bungees correctly you don't have to worry about losing the computer. Each side of the computer gets a separate bungee.

I pick up French Safts on Amazon for about $5. They are nice on a long holiday week so you never have to open the computer. But regular weekend use, Duracell alkaline have worked fine for years.

I spoke to the us Shearwater representative at DEMA. We had delayed are most recent order due to the possibility of something new would come out. Nothing new came out and he said that it would be a while before they introduced anything else.

On the SAFTs there are two types out there. One has a white top underneath the plastic wrapper and the other is green. Don’t know if one is counterfeit or not, but one is slightly shorter than the other and will not work.

I have SAFT batteries with over 150 hours on low brightness that still have 3.45 volts. I suspect that I could go over 200, but usually change them out at the beginning of the year after 150 hours.

The included clips work fine for some people. However, you have to pin the computer against your body so the computer and clasp part don’t rotate.

Back
Top Bottom