So, which AI 'puter to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all! I have just today discovered Scuba Board, and this is my first post.
I have been diving for 3 years, and have about 30 dives. max depth to date is 106 ft. I have been diving with a NiTek wrist mount.
I have been researching AI computers, and until today had practically decided to buy the Smart Com. Now, I don't think so. With that said, which one should I get? I would like: micro bubble technology, user replaceable batteries, large display, Nitrox capable, deco capable (for future diving). What is available that fits, and what am I possibly not thinking about? Please let me know your thoughts.

Chris

There are hundreds of posts here Chris concerning your questions. I would suggest you go to www.scubadiving.com and look over their latest computer reviews. Although Rodales has lots to desire, their listing of computer features, capabilities and prices is pretty good.
You can look for the features you listed, pick one or two models and then ask some detailed questions about those.

MD

Actually, just use the search function near the top of the page to find TONS of user reports on all sorts of AI computers. I use a Cobra, which has done great, but the new ScubaPro/Uwatec Smart Com looks awesome!!!

The new Mares Airlab looks hot in the AI category. I believe that it supports RGBM & deep stops. I have the M1 RGBM on order and will post about my experience with it in about 2 weeks.

With all due respect to NetDoc, a few people I know have various versions of the Uwatec Smart series and every time they need to change a setting or do their logbook they have to get out the manual. It is just not a very intuitive system. If you are an engineer type, it may be your thing. Having said that, I have used an older Uwatec Pro Nitrox for the last 400 or so dives and think it is a very good unit. The original battery reads 58%.

This quick reply function rocks, by the way!

My Oceanic Data Max Pro has more than 750 dives on her and she is doing fine. I am on about my 4-5 battery. Many of these early models had issues, but mine has been awesome. The down load system has been updated from mine which is infrared. Maybe the software improved to.

Things I like...
*Big Display
*Two Buttons--A must have.
*All displays useful and easy.

Things I don't like...
*Software is week
*Defaults back to air to fast between dives.

Good Luck on your qwest. I would by another one.

I Dive the Uwatec Smart Com, which does not have user replaceable batteries, but does have lifetine free batteries. Here's my two cents on the Smart Com:
This is a very powerful dive computer, it does a lot... but is not terribly user friendly. At first I felt like it was very conservative, however one day I had to make 11 dives helping some friends with some research and could not believe the amount of bottom time it was allowing me on the repetetive dives. I would take long hangs and make really slow ascents and the computer seemed to like that. I really like the data tracking too. The amount of information it makes available is incredible and often very helpful to me. I've logged 82 dives on it since Oct 14, each about an hour and the battery indicates 86%. The math suggests that total battery life is about 586 hours at the rate that I am going.
That being said, I don't recommend this computer to most recreational divers. The Aeris ai does more recreational orientated stuff and is (in my opinion) much easier to use. Its also less expensive.

I like my Sherwood Wisdom. It is nitrox, extended range (to 399 ft) and deco capable (deco stops down to 60 ft. with a maximum of 9 hrs 59 minutes of deco), downloadable and has user replaceable batteries. It also has a large display with easy to read numbers and back lighting. It is very user freindly with intuitive displays and a very good and easily operated planning/simulator mode.

It uses a modified haldanean Algorithm and does not get overly fancy in terms of micro bubble technology. However, it does use a variable ascent rate with "green" limits of 50 fpm below 60 ft and 25 fpm above 60 ft. It also suggests a 3 minute saftey stop at 20' and has worked very well for me when making 1 minute deep stops.

SemorBugs:
*Defaults back to air to fast between dives.

Semor,
I believe you can change the time it takes to return to the default settings. I know you can on the non air integrated model. If you need me too I can find out how to change it. Send me a PM.

Joe

Scubakevdm:
I Dive the Uwatec Smart Com, which does not have user replaceable batteries.

This is a good thing in my opinion. Not only do they change them for free but they test the computer to verify it is still operating properly. And run it through a few test dives.
I have a Smart Com and love it. I have only had it in relatively shallow water due to a nasty incident at work but I hope to get it to deep blue water soon.

Joe

The downside with the Uwatec life time battery replacement program is that this only applies to the original owner. Given that the MSRP of battery replacement and recalibration for someone other than the original owner tops $500 for some models, the used value of an Uwatec with anything other than a fresh battery is essentially zilch if the buyer has a clue about the looming battery replacement costs.

You most defintely do not want buy a used one and if you own a new one it will not be worth nearly as much on the secondary market as a similar computer with user repaceable batteries, at least once the cost of non orignal owner battery replacement becomes common knowledge.

I suspect that making a new computer a more attractive purchase option than a used one is the intent behind Uwatec's excessive cost of battery replacement for anyone other than the original owner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom