So you want to take your kid diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of the tragic, avoidable deaths across the country, one cause stands out well beyond all others.

Some advocates call it America's great, unnoticed public health menace, and it can hit any household in any neighborhood, inner city or suburban, rich or poor, black or white. It is the leading cause of deaths among Americans ages 1 to 34, and is the leading cause of long-term disability for all ...

Living | The most dangerous activity: driving | Seattle Times Newspaper

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Jeff, but let me see if I understand the numbers...?

Passenger cars .47 deaths/million hours...?

Scuba Diving 1.98 deaths/million hours...?

On-road Motorcycling 8.80 deaths/million hours...?

Some of you are missing the point of the driving comparison. It was never meant that driving was more dangerous...or vice versa. It was meant to point out that driving is indeed a dangerous activity, yet we give little thought to throwing our families in a wheeled contraption, and taking off down the highway. The big "gasp" over children diving is all about perspective...a perspective that is unduly generated due to the activity falling outside mainstream.

Hate to jump in this but how bout any recreational activity you do with your kid. Sports to include football, rugby, and lacross. Some others come to mind where the parent can be alone with a child. Dirtbikes, hiking, climbing, bicycling. where the child is only one able to help a parent deep in the woods. Should we not take our kids on any of these types of activities? Is diving anymore dangerous than lots of other above water sports/activities? Does it leave the child as the only means of assistance in the event of an accident? I use to dirtbike in the woods with my stepson when he was young and I explained what to do in the event of an accident and I see dirtbikes as much more dangerous than diving. Just some thoughts on this issue.

Hate to jump in this but how bout any recreational activity you do with your kid. Sports to include football, rugby, and lacross. Some others come to mind where the parent can be alone with a child. Dirtbikes, hiking, climbing, bicycling. where the child is only one able to help a parent deep in the woods. Should we not take our kids on any of these types of activities? Is diving anymore dangerous than lots of other above water sports/activities? Does it leave the child as the only means of assistance in the event of an accident? I use to dirtbike in the woods with my stepson when he was young and I explained what to do in the event of an accident and I see dirtbikes as much more dangerous than diving. Just some thoughts on this issue.

The Ten Most Dangerous Sports for Kids - DivineCaroline

Thanks Jeff, but let me see if I understand the numbers...?

Passenger cars .47 deaths/million hours...?

Scuba Diving 1.98 deaths/million hours...?

On-road Motorcycling 8.80 deaths/million hours...?

Don,

Yes, that's my edge-you-ma-cay-tid guess as to what that chart is saying, and it seemed to fit in with some other numbers that I found as well. So basically in terms of hours actually spent doing the given activity, those are the mortality rates.

Jeff

seems like anything kids do has some risk. article however was for ER visits, not necessarily deaths. one also has to wonder about permanent spinal injuries or head injuries for kids playing football.

I think DandyDon's point, however, was not only the inherent risk to kids but also what are the potential emotional scars of being a kid see their parent die suddenly in front of them while diving?

We've sorta beat this to death already, no pun intended. More of a personal philosophy of parenting and what risks are we willing to accept and then share with our kids. IMO life is meant to be enjoyed, and will try and teach my kids not to be afraid of life.

dive safe

Safer than Facebook, hahahah

So, it looks like Scuba Diving is roughly 4x more "dangerous" than driving in a passenger car. However, the flip side to that is, of course, that most of us will spend factors in the 100s more time in an auto with our children than Scuba diving with them.

FWIW.

Jeff
That makes more sense than the personal opinions to the contrary that hijacked the thread, thanks.

Do you have a link handy? My searching fails. While we're on the big subject, I wondered how pedestrian traffic fared? I get so upset with idiots walking in the street wearing dark clothes at night.

That makes more sense than the personal opinions to the contrary that hijacked the thread, thanks.
Uh ... Don ??? ... it's an internet forum. It's all personal opinion. I think what you meant to say was people who expressed opinions that didn't agree with your own.

Do you have a link handy? My searching fails. While we're on the big subject, I wondered how pedestrian traffic fared? I get so upset with idiots walking in the street wearing dark clothes at night.
... so are you now hijacking your own thread? :no:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom