Solo without drysuit- not OK with SDI for solo cert??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been solo diving since 1961 (only one set of equipment back then to share) and didn't even use a BCD until 1989 (and since that one failed due to autoinflation, I disconnected it and didn't really use it on those dives with a Cousteau team). I can understand why redundant buoyancy might be favored, but for most diving I don't see it as a requirement. Of course I'm not an agency setting standards for certification.

I had a single bladder BCD develop a leak on a 180 ft dive off Ship Rock a few years ago. I could swim myself up even from that depth (although to be fair, the leak was not entirely catastrophic... but the BCD was not retaining air long).

I think of the many dives we did in the 60s, 70s and 80s without a BCD but with proper weighting. Perhaps proper weighting should be a more significant component of such a course as well. Also the topic of separating total weight into easily ditchable (weight pockets) and "semi-ditchable" (weight belt). Seems these are things a good solo diver should be very aware of.

In my mind one of the most important things a solo diver needs to know has little to do with the equipment. I'm referring to knowledge of how they respond under emergency situations. I've seen divers with plenty of great gear and redundancy who panic when something happens, and others with just the basic gear configuration remain cool and extricate themselves from situations others might die from.

Sounds like you are wearing the most reliable form of redundant buoyancy already.
yes, regarding the buoyancy of the neoprene.

I'm a fan of John Reseck, Jr.'s book "Scuba, Safe and Simple", and he also points to neoprene as an ascent aid when you ditch your belt.

Sounds like you are wearing the most reliable form of redundant buoyancy already.

That is incorrect. The MOST reliable form of redundant Bouyancy is not neoprene, but rather bioprene...... (aka blubber)

That is incorrect. The MOST reliable form of redundant Bouyancy is not neoprene, but rather bioprene...... (aka blubber)

You can punch a heck of a lot of holes into a wetsuit with virtually no effect on displacement. I suspect a diver’s survivability would be far more compromised by punching holes in their love handles. :wink:

You don't have to completely inflate the lift bag or SMB. Put just enough air into it to keep you neutral. Pull the dump cord as you ascend to keep it neutral. When I dive wet (which is very rare), I bring along a lift bag for redundant buoyancy. And I'm diving several thousand feet back into a cave.

Now there's a bit of gear we OW types wouldn't think about for cave diving... a SMB! I guess you don't need much string on it, eh? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom