Split fins or no?!? I can't decide! Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay first of all I am NOT wanting to start any type of argument! I've searched and searched and still can't make up my mind! I'm a new diver and I was set on ordering some Atomic split fins and now I'm having second thoughts?! At 190 bucks I don't want to get them and hate them. Currently I have the Tusa Imprex Tri-Ex fins and I don't like them at all! They are reallyyy stiff and very tiring. I'm a 5'5 female with weak little legs so I need some fins that don't take a TON of strength to kick. Do you think Atomic split fins will be okay? Are they relatively easier to kick than paddle fins? I really need your guys help!

-Rachael

They are relatively easier to kick than regular fins, they create a faster speed than regular-sized fins, and IMHO are very much more efficient than regular fins.

I own Atomic BioFins (the regulars with spring straps) for 95% of my scuba diving as of late, 'regular' Rocket II's for frog-kicking through wrecks, and long free-dive fins for free-diving. They all have their place, but for regular recreational use the Atomics were, and are, very much worth it.

We use them to kick out 3/4 of a mile, if not more, on beach dives. Generally the shortcomings and the extra stress regular fins have and create become very apparent to the user after one or a few kick-outs. Sure, it took me almost a year to switch (in which time my legs and kicks had become very, very strong, but the energy expelled and strain endured just didn't have to be had I bought the Atomics earlier).

You will learn a rapid, short-stroked kick with splits, and you must absolutely maintain that small kick, only faster, in strong currents, but I've proved they work in current to the nay-sayers. It's when a diver panics, or forgets, and tries to long-stroke-kick spits in current that they fall short. I would not use them to free-dive, nor plan penetrations with them (done it though), but that's a whole other conversation.

But as I can even do a modified frog-kick with mine, or glide along a reef-line only using one leg (they're that efficient), and regularly use the helicopter technique to turn (very regularly), I'd say they are one of the best fins out there for a lot of situations.

Back
Top Bottom