Suunto DM4??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just downloaded the latest 'upgrade' of DM4 and let it install. Another disappointment. Still no place to track gear, still doesn't retain cylinder information input for each dive, still crappy way of 'tagging' your location, buddy, water type, etc.. I'm guessing they're hearing us, but figure to wait us out until everyone has a flashy new dive computer that won't work on DM3.1 and are forced to use Movescount and DM4. I appreciate all the hard work that goes into coding, I really do. DM4 with the nifty new interface should have been an improvement on DM3.1, not four steps back. Come on, Suunto, listen up. Thank God my Cobra 3 works wonderfully with DM3.1.
By the way, the way I got around redownloading all the dives from my computer again was to do a full export of everything, and then import into DM4. That got all my dives moved.

Well this is one week from the one year anniversary of this thread and for quite some time.... crickets. I wish you well Suunto.

I was a loyal customer, but now doubt that my family will own another one of your products. Fix 3.1 of DM for current versions of Windows and your computers and we might reconsider if it's not too late.

My son is ready, so the search begins for new dive computers...

2 Things,

Firstly my problem is that I canged my battery in my viper.... and didn't set the date, left it as 00... Does ANYONE know of anyway I can chage the dive details of my last 4 dives to the correct date on the VYPER?, as this way they appear as my first dives not my last. And this is how i've fallen foul of DM4

Tried to use DM4 to see if this would have a feature to alter the dive details, I've got the proper suunto usb cable, and it works in DM3 with my Vyper, and the Mrs Gekko (yes gekko) However DM4 doesn't recognise either watch. I thought at first it was cos the Gekko's not supposed to be downloadable (so used the bit set software to allow this) but it won't even connect to the vyper. I've tried alsorts, connect - setting tr-pc - then opening dm, opening dm - connect - then tr-pc, opening dm - then tr-pc - then connect - then back in DM connect to another device and re-selecting vyper, and nothing will connect.

Help... I'd like to fill out my UW survey forms with depth profiles for the area surveyed but can't without DM.

Ta

Piece of crap.... Suunto, PLEASE put the standalone features back into DM4.... if you don't i'm leaving. I DON'T WANT TO BE ONLINE for my dives. I don't like having my details based on the internet as I know how insecure it is, and don't give me crap about security measures... as part of my security training for work, I KNOW I can crack certain vulnerabilities in websites in under 2 minutes, and through the same bug get to windows domains, and in 1/2 hour have your admin credentials with certain bugs, and some of its not bugs, it's required features for the system to actually be able to operate... and of course the software I have for this.... at work... dont use it anywhere else but its the knowing how easy it actually is......

Hi Bikky,

sorry to hear of your connectivity problems with Vyper. Please contact our Help Desk for quick and efficient troubleshooting: Suunto Customer Service | Suunto
(e.g., United Kingdom 02033645723 (cost of a local call in UK))

Just to clarify about the Suunto DM4, all the data is always stored locally on your PC / Mac. Use of Movescount, Suunto's online sports diary is optional and it's completely voluntary to register and link up your DM4 with your Movescount account. Even using Movescount you have an option to remain a private member and your sports activities logs are not visible to anyone else but you.

If you would like to give concrete suggestions on how to improve DM4 and what features you'd like to have added/enhanced, please use the feedback form at https://www.webropolsurveys.com/Ans...0482&SID=d4cc719e-19eb-465f-a410-5f77fa4e93dd

Kind regards,
\Pia from Suunto

I need to move my dives from one computer to another. How do I export the dives on computer 1 and then re-import them on computer 2? The only "export" I see is to PDF. How can I export to csv or something similar so that it can be imported?

donaldsa -

In DM4 click Help, About and a window will open. In this window you can copy your dive data folder to the "clipboard". I think it saves a dm4.db file. I can't remember now how I got to a chosen destination file. Try it to see how it works. I did it once and was reasonably successful.

Another real flaky Suunto way to do something that goes contrary to the way the rest of the world navigates computer files.

---------- Post added ----------

Here are instructions from Suunto Help Desk on using the data restore feature for DM4:

Unfortunately, it is not possible to convert data from *bak file into DM4. For the future use, below we are providing the instruction on how to back up/restore data for DM4.
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]1. Start DM4 in old computer -> Go to file -> About -> Choose ‘copy’ (log file path to clipboard)
2. In Windows Explorer paste the path from clipboard to the address bar
3. You should see location DM4.db in that folder. Copy that file to the new computer.
4. Locate the DM4.db on the new computer the same way as on the old one.
5. Replace the DM4.db on the new computer with the old one.
[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]
[/FONT]With best regards,
Suunto Help Desk

The .bak reference comes from a question on restoring .bak files from DM3. If you're doing a DM3 back up, remember to make sure you highlight ALL dive log folders or you'll lose data in the back up. I learned the hard way.

If you would like to give concrete suggestions on how to improve DM4 and what features you'd like to have added/enhanced, please use the feedback form at https://www.webropolsurveys.com/Ans...0482&SID=d4cc719e-19eb-465f-a410-5f77fa4e93dd

Pia,

When I go to this link, it states that it is feedback for "movescount", not the DM4 software. Like most other divers here, I have zero interest in the online movescount feature. Private or not, there is no compelling reason for the need of an internet connection for logging or editing my dives. Backup is the only positive, but I have far more important data to consider, so that is already handled on a global level with my computers.

Many many "concrete suggestions" have been laid out over and over here as well as other threads, but they mostly boil down to one BIG concrete suggestion, which is to give us back ALL the basic features that were in DM3 and are STILL missing from DM4 (which would be more appropriately named DM 0.5). Really, the only "new feature" in DM4 is movescount, something no one appears to have asked for or wants.

Anyway, I'd be happy to copy and paste the individual requests from threads like this if the link is also for DM4 and not just movescount as it appears to be.

Do you not have any of the DM3 developers on staff? Or was that a contracted project? DM4 developers really need them. DM4 is a failure and continues to be a horrible reflection on Suunto.

Thanks,
Greg

I just switched from my Oceanic Atom 2 to the D6i because of the newer micro-bubble decompression algorithms. My instructor has a D9 and showed me the Suunto software (DM3) and I had high hopes of getting an up-to-date computer and software. Oceanic's software is way worse than even Suunto's DM4 (Trust me, it's possible). Given the new computer I can't use DM3 and gave up on DM4. Instead I am using Mac-Dive 2, which works with both my old Oceanics and the new D6i and has all the features I am missing on DM4 (Gear and dive site managements, export of dives, photos etc.).

What a mind-numbing HACK! Purchased two new D4i and one ZOOP. Have used Vypers and Mosquitos for years with zero problems. I use Dive Manager 1.6 to log dives, again no problem but doesn't do new stuff (Never had luck with Suunto Dive Manager 2.0 - would not reliably connect with out BSOD or nothing??) Anyway, I've got dives on my new gear and I want to log them so, downloaded the new DM4, easy install on my Windows XP box, and an easy connect to a D4i. Great, now let's edit some fun info like my dive buddy, my dive site, my dive location, my ... So how to do that??? Then I found this forum, Suunto still hasn't fixed this software; that is totally ridiculous, and completely unprofessional. I guess I can use the Note field for that, but ... Well I want to download my wife's D4i too, where does that go?? Can't be done, she needs her own user id? How silly, even Dive Manager 1.6 lets you open different logbooks, and I use one for each computer. So this stupid hack will work, but it is a chore. DM4 version 1.1.123421 has a "Copy log folder path to clipboard" from Main menu:Help->About This is interesting. Paste the clipboard to a text editor. When you navigate to the bowels of your file system you can find a file under ...\Data\DM4.db Ahh,an SQL Lite version 3 database (which can ultimately be imported or linked in a Microsoft Access database, probably not useful, but...) NOW, this file can be copied. Rename it to something like yourname_divecomputermodel_DM4.db OK...Hacking away. Open DM4 and delete all the dives. Connect to another dive computer for me another D4i using the supplied USB cable (red-tipped) bam connecting and new dive sequences, then again save this to a new name, like hername_divecomputermodel_DM4.db Again reopen DM4 and delete all dives. Connect another dive computer like the ZOOP (I used my old Vyper/Mosquito serial connection cable) and Oh yes oh yes oh yes - a new dive sequence. Stored again in a copy with a unique name.
Now, all you hackers need to do is copy one of you personal .db files over the only file DM4 can see: DM4.db before you try to download your dive computer - be sure to match up computer with the proper database log and the file naming convention can help that.
So YOU CAN DO what some LAZY programmer neglected to provide, being a "Main Menu File->Open Log" command. All Suunto needed to do was look at their old software, and get a clue!
I still can't use their new program as a front end to a database, as the said they would do a year ago. But I will learn to suck their data in to my own database with the fields I want to track, so maybe in a bit I'll be able to provide such a thing to the community.
Maybe somebody already has ;^})
Thanks everybody.

---------- Post added June 30th, 2013 at 04:19 PM ----------

How did I miss PHOTOTOM's post from a year ago??? Well, Thanks Phototom, so obviously a year later Suunto prefers a hack.

rork,

All that you need to do to download multiple computers on DM4 is select the drop down menu at the top of the screen that is next to my dives. Select "gear" in the drop down menu and the downloads will be per computer and not by date.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom