Tantalized, tortured by "flamingo pink" fins...STOP ME!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemistress

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Maybe it's hormones, maybe it's marketing, but suddenly I'm seeing visions of pink fins.

I have NEVER wanted pink fins. Okay, my beloved Mares Avanti Quattros ARE neon green. But they are my only piece of colored gear, practically. And they're easy to spot underwater. (As well as above ....:))

But a chance encounter with a pair of full-foot fins has changed my life: excellent power, no booties, no hassle. Mares Avanti Quattro Power in metal grey is, was, my first choice. But then I stumbled across a pair of "flamingo" and black Avanti Tre.

Flamingo. Balmy Florida. Plastic lawn ornaments. Foam and plastic curlers.

Girly gear.

The last thing a dignifed diver needs, especially one who already wears Divegoddess skins. :) Then again.....Who wants to be another drone, one of the all-black masses? (No DIR slur intended.)

How many women -- and men -- here wear pink fins? How many would consider it? Do other divers make fun of you? Do you care? Do clothes make the man? Do fins make the diver?

There's a t-shirt around with a great slogan: Talk softly, but dress loudly.

Maybe I ought to reconsider those flamingo fins.....

DM

Hi DM.

I say go for the pink! It's a great color. Photogenic. Makes it much more difficult for others on the boat to 'accidentally' grab the wrong pair of fins.

I wore pink fins thru checkouts and my first year of diving. (Borrowed 'em from my 12 year old sister! LOL) Dove with a pink light for years. Now dive with a pink backup light and pink mask.

The only time I've seen pick a bit 'overdone' was on a friend that had a custom wetsuit made. Hood, wetsuit and gloves were all bright pink! There was some red trim but it was mainly pink. You could see her for miles above water. I was on a different boat from her one day and heard some guys on our boat say 'look at that woman in pink over there!' I knew exactly who they were talking about without looking. She's been diving dry for years now and is the most proficient technical diver I know.

& isn't a little attention nice?!

Paula

I confess that I'm not a fan of pink above or below the surface. Yellow is much more my color, it happens to be a nice coincidence that neon yellow is pretty visible as well. With the exception of my safety sausage (which is orange, seems to be easier to see above the water than yellow) all of my gear that isn't black is yellow.

As far as folks I dive with, I'd much prefer them to have pink fins than blue/black. I've never understood why blue/black fins were so popular....it's like diver camouflage.....and I generally dive in blue water, if the vis is compromised at all you can't see the fins at all.

Ok, I'll get off my little soapbox here....so DM, if you were my buddy I'd say pink over grey any day of the week....at least you'd be hard to miss underwater <big smile>.

Peace,
Cathie

CuriousMe once bubbled...
As far as folks I dive with, I'd much prefer them to have pink fins than blue/black. I've never understood why blue/black fins were so popular....it's like diver camouflage.....and I generally dive in blue water, if the vis is compromised at all you can't see the fins at all.
Peace,
Cathie
LOL - wouldn't be a problem spotting me here - the water tends to be green and people tell me my blue fins are quite spottable:D

Well Snowbear, I suppose the water color would make a difference :) In blue water with good vis of course you can see folks no matter what they're wearing, but if the vis is bad (30 feet or so, and yes I do know that I"m spoiled rotten :D) I have a hard time seeing blue gear.

I've never dove in green water....hmmmmmmm although I think it's to cold in your part of the world for a wimp like me :D

Peace,
Cathie

divemistress once bubbled...
Maybe it's hormones, maybe it's marketing, ....
DM

No, it's that blatant industry sexism, luring women into pink gear! Oops, sorry, wrong thread.

There is a meeting tonight of Pinkaholics Anonymous you should attend. "Hello, my name is Divemistress, and I own a garage full of pink scuba gear. It started with an octopus holder, then a snorkel......"

Have you ever seen catalogs from Japan? They market just about everything in different colors there. I knew a Japanese instructor who had WHITE fins, and I've seen ads for white wetsuits. Very spiffy. I like neon stuff, my wife is into the black and grey stealth mode.

Neil

divemistress once bubbled...
Maybe it's hormones, maybe it's marketing, but suddenly I'm seeing visions of pink fins.
Maybe I ought to reconsider those flamingo fins.....
DM
I say go for it Divemistress...I've had a pair of pink fins for a few years. I gave up my very expensive set when Capt. Woody at the Diving Site in Marathon got tired of waiting for me to get those gosh darn fins off. He gave me some old pink ones he used for rentals. I'm sure every where I go, other divers think I ripped this pink pair off of some dive operation or wonder what trailer park I swam out of, but they work and that's good enough for me.

I've taken the liberty of doctoring/butchering a favorite poem of mine by Jenny Joseph.

Warning

"When I am an old woman I shall wear pink fins
With a red skin which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear pink fins."

my neon yellow fins would be perfect if not everyone else had the exact same ones.
No need to mar pink fins by marking your name on them.... not my cup of tea though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom