Tech fin options - neutral buoyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If Deep6 is off the table, then it is Apeks RK3 for sure!

They are mostly identical in bouncy.

If Deep6 is off the table, then it is Apeks RK3 for sure!

They are mostly identical in bouncy.

Have you actually used the RK3 and the Deep6? How much difference do you notice on things like back finning?

The XT's have a very comfortable foot pocket so long as you don't have Fred Flintstone feet like I do. Much more comfortable than the Hollis and OMS fin pockets and comparable to the Deep6.

Here's a useful clip.........

It leads me to my favorite choice in Fin's for a jack of all trades fin......it's put out by HOG, UTD, Poseidon and others......but at half the cost of the Apeks, Hollis etc.

That said, I'm still waiting to try the Deep6 as soon as they make the Orange in XXL.

Here's a useful clip.........

It leads me to my favorite choice in Fin's for a jack of all trades fin......it's put out by HOG, UTD, Poseidon and others......but at half the cost of the Apeks, Hollis etc.

That said, I'm still waiting to try the Deep6 as soon as they make the Orange in XXL.
I saw the Poseidon on the DGX website and thought it looked very similar the HOG, UTD, OMS, Apeks, Deep6, and XS Scuba. They all look like Jet clones, just possibly with a different foot pocket and possibly different rubber and/or buoyancy. If my shop has some Jets and some Jet clones I can try, I will do that, too.

But, I have the impression now that the DR XTs will give me more outright thrust (forwards or backwards) than those. If they do, and they're comfy, then that's probably what I'll go with.

I have been using Atomic Blade fins, for wetsuit diving, since I started diving. I really like them and I feel like they work pretty well for tech kicks. But, in the pool this weekend, I was looking at them as I was kicking and it seems like they flex a lot more than I would have thought they did. And I am starting to wonder if my poor ability to back fin may have a little bit to do with the fins. Actually, I need to inspect them and make sure they haven't cracked or something to make them more flexy than they used to be.

I use Hollis F1 fins when diving dry, but I don't want such a negative fin for diving in a wetsuit. Thus (one reason) why I am not looking at ScubaPro Jet fins, also.

I want something that is roughly neutral, gives good power, and is good for back finning. And has a comfortable foot pocket for wearing with a 5mm bootie.

I would try the Deep6 Eddy fins. But, they are off the table as I want/need to stick to fins that I can buy through my shop.

This is the list of options I have come up with so far:

Hollis F1 LT
Apeks RK3
Dive Rite XT
OMS Slipstream

I am leaning towards trying the DR XTs. I am afraid the F1 LT fins are possibly too short to give good power and/or too floppy (i.e. not stiff enough). The RK3 and Slipstreams look like Jet clones and I don't really know much about the specifics of either one. And I have read many, many positive things about the XTs - plus, a number of the instructors from my shop use them and seem to think very highly of them.

Any other suggestions? Any thoughts on choosing between these?

Thanks!
given what you have been diving, go for the Dive Rite, they are solid.

I saw the Poseidon on the DGX website and thought it looked very similar the HOG, UTD, OMS, Apeks, Deep6, and XS Scuba. They all look like Jet clones, just possibly with a different foot pocket and possibly different rubber and/or buoyancy. If my shop has some Jets and some Jet clones I can try, I will do that, too.

But, I have the impression now that the DR XTs will give me more outright thrust (forwards or backwards) than those. If they do, and they're comfy, then that's probably what I'll go with.
that fin is NOT at all like the Deep 6 Eddy.

I personally was not a big fan of that fin even when selling them.

that fin is NOT at all like the Deep 6 Eddy.

I personally was not a big fan of that fin even when selling them.

My apologies. No offense intended. I really just meant to say that all those fins have a similar Jet-like shape and size to the blade part (or so it appears to the unwashed mass). I realize the foot pockets could be totally different, and the materials could result in totally different flex and performance.

I guess what I'm saying is that to the non-fin expert, the LOOK of all those fins are very similar. Not identical. But, they all look a lot more like each other than any of them look like, say, an Atomic Blade.

I've had a couple of issues with the XT, which I'll share. The was of my own making:

My first set I got in L and they were great, loved them. After 18months of ownership some clown knocked one overboard so I went and got another pair. My feet are mid size, clearly I don't have the Elephant hoves of Tbone, but still - Anyway I picked up the XL (havign tried it on with my boots.

While it felt great in the shop it was too loose in the water and would come off on a giant strid. No issues I put a slightly shorter spring on it (1/2") From that point on they would chafe, not every time but most. After the 5th diveone ankel would be raw. It didnt' matter which boots or if I wor emy DS with socks, always the same.

Anyhow, another clown threw one of of these fins over board (less than a year of ownership this time) And this set I got in L agin. No problems

The othe rissue was with my wife's set - at 3 years old they snapped along the plastic hinge (teh part that joins the buckle to the fin)

We sent pictures there did seem to be a rough void (hole) and you cold see where it had fractured. Dive Rite say it was a manufacturing error (I'm not so sure because all our fins have the same void) Anyway DR have sent her a return slip and are supplyign a new pair FOC - So well done DR

@Diving Dubai Dive Rite has been brilliant with these fins. They aren't as durable as the jet fins because they aren't a 5lb brick of rubber and due to the cost of redesigning the molds. Anytime I have heard of any issue with the fins, Dive Rite goes ahead and has replaced them. Doesn't happen that often, with most being the tips splitting before they went back to the original monoprene blend, but the customer service is brilliant.
I don't expect to see any issues with the Deep6 fins despite any of our best efforts, but I'm sure if someone finds an issue, Chris will take care of them as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom