Tech fin options - neutral buoyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more of these you use, the more you'll spot the differences. The RK3/Hog/Poseidon/UTD fins are much shorter than the F1, Deep6, XT, etc fins.

I've been diving the OMS Slipstreams since January 2013 and have been pleased as punch. In fact, I lost one in a river cave through NO fault of my own (shut it, Tom) and had to source another pair while they were discontinued. I was distraught, but finally found one. If the Deep 6 fins are out, I can't recommend them enough.
I used Slipstreams before I found Deep6.
Slipstream are good fins in terms of power , etc, but their fin pocket was killing me! Maybe in heavy dry suit boots no problem, but for me in light wet warm water boots i always had blisters...

I went by the shop at lunch and tried on XTs, Slipstreams, and RK3s. And some Mares Power Planas. Sizing certainly varied. XT size L fit pretty well. Slightly wider than I need, but not enough to allow them to wobble. Slipstream size L was a bit too small. RK3 size L (IIRC) fit and was maybe just a little snug. And Mares Power Plana size "Regular" was too big. My Atomics in size L are a very good fit. All this with my Oceanic 5mm booties on my size 10.5 - 11 (depending on the shoes) feet.

I was really surprised at how small the RK3s are compared to the others. I can see how they would be good inside a tight space. But, the Slipstreams were barely any longer and had a lot wider blade.

I'm DMing tomorrow for one of my bosses with an OW class at the quarry. He's got about the same size feet as me so he's bringing his Slipstreams and XTs for me to try. He said he did not like the RK3s as much as either the Slips or the XTs. He said they felt a bit more "floppy" and not as much power. They definitely LOOKED like they wouldn't generate as much thrust as the others.

So, I'm narrowed down now to the two. OMS or DR. Comparing the two, the OMS has a lot taller side wall, so it looks like they would be better for back finning using the edges. But, I usually back fin in a reverse frog kick style, using the actual blades. For that style, the XTs could be just as good or better.

I was leaning towards the DR. But, now I'm waffling. For dives where long fins are fine, I probably also don't need to have the best back kick. So, I could keep using my Atomics. For dives where shorter fins would be better, those are probably also the dives where a better back kick would come in handy. So, maybe I should go for the Slipstreams and hang onto my Atomic fins for ocean dives with no planned penetration.

*sigh* Hopefully, I'll try them both and one will just be an obvious winner. If not, maybe I'll buy them both and try to find a buyer for my Atomics.

I only own 4 sets of fins right now. I need a couple more, right?

I used Slipstreams before I found Deep6.
Slipstream are good fins in terms of power , etc, but their fin pocket was killing me! Maybe in heavy dry suit boots no problem, but for me in light wet warm water boots i always had blisters...

I think my boss said his Slipstreams also hurt his feet a bit, too. I will definitely have to pay attention to that when I try them tomorrow!

I'm also looking for new wetsuit/travel fins and while the Eddy fins look good they're ruled out by the fact that they're only available online with no statisfaction/fit return policy. Buying a fin is close to buying shoes as fit is paramount and unless you can try then on before buying you're counting on luck,which is not good enough, IMO.

@stuartv part of the potential for feet hurting in the slips is that the footpocket is very blocky so you can get some slop in the toe which causes all sorts of weird problems for some people.

If you like the feel of the slips better, I'd go straight to Deep6 as one who went from slipstreams to deep6 and won't look back

@Hatul something tells me that if you really had a problem with the fins that @cerich and the rest of the @Deep Six team would make sure you were satisfied. While it may not be laid out in the website, he definitely won't leave you high and dry

@stuartv part of the potential for feet hurting in the slips is that the footpocket is very blocky so you can get some slop in the toe which causes all sorts of weird problems for some people.

If you like the feel of the slips better, I'd go straight to Deep6 as one who went from slipstreams to deep6 and won't look back

I hear ya. But, I went to the shop and one of the owners helped me with trying on 4 different kinds of fins. Tomorrow, that same owner is bringing two sets of his personal fins for me to actually try out in the quarry. As long as at least one of those sets of fins works for me (and works better than my Atomics for back finning), I will buy a pair from the shop. At staff cost, I expect it will be no more expensive than the Eddys, which is just gravy.

I hear ya. But, I went to the shop and one of the owners helped me with trying on 4 different kinds of fins. Tomorrow, that same owner is bringing two sets of his personal fins for me to actually try out in the quarry. As long as at least one of those sets of fins works for me (and works better than my Atomics for back finning), I will buy a pair from the shop. At staff cost, I expect it will be no more expensive than the Eddys, which is just gravy.
Fair enough.

If someone gets Eddy's and need a different size we are more than happy to exchange them..or refund or whatever the customer wants.

Let's be fair however, you are getting a staff discount, most don't. Plus, as a shop staff there is a bias towards dissing a model that most dive shops are pretty upset about. I get that.

I don't doubt that. But, I have never heard Deep6 mentioned at my shop. So, they haven't dissed Deep6 in front of me. However, now that you brought it up, I'm going to ask the owner what he thinks of Deep6 tomorrow, just to see what he says.

I own F1's, HOG Tech2's, Slipstreams, have dived the XT's, the Eddy's, and have RK3's at work.

First, the RK3's blow. Too floppy, not much power, not precise enough to make up for their weak sauce performance. They took a great design and screwed it up. I only wear them because we have to wear supplied gear. Same reason I have to dive a poodle jacket. ::shudder::

Tech2's, great for small spaces. Much better than the RK3's for a similar length. I use them for wrecks or small caves.

Slipstreams are the rebreather substitute for my F1's, Although now that I've swapped my Meg for an SF2 they may be resigned to sidemount only. Good power, good maneuverability, foot pocket is the least comfortable of all of them.

XT's great fin. I'd own a pair if I didn't already have Slipstreams.

Eddy's I've only borrowed, but will probably replace the Slipstreams if the F1's don't work for my SF2 as they are much more comfortable and performance is equal. It's that or XT's and since I'll probably end up making a pretty big first order for Deep6's regs, I'll probably just snag a pair of Eddy's at the same time. Now @cerich needa to offer gauges in science units so I can place an order. Print the face in bar and PSI already!!!

F1's are still my go to fin for as much as I can. Singles, doubles, my Pelagian, wet or dry, I even dive them with board shorts and a rash guard without issue, I just have to be more conscious with my body position. It's not something I like having to dedicate mental capacity towards if I'm doing a big boy dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom