Tech Instructor & Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PA/NJdiver once bubbled...
Oh yeah. I forgot to mention this instructor owns a shop.

Stacey

That statement says it all!

My guess is that he want the gear sales that goes along with new tech students. For a small cash fee he found a TDI IT to sign his cards. Now he is a tech Instructor without any experience. This is not an uncommon story. What is even worse is to see the new diver throw money at this type of person.

Kevin Jones

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

It isn't rocket science but it does take a little technique and there is a learning curve. Many just let a shop do it. In my area you would be hard pressed to find a shop that could do it.

My Advanced Nitrox students who use doubles put their own together in class. I had to teach myself.

I didn't mean to suggest that just anyone could (or should) do this without seeing how it's done beforehand, and I didn't mean to suggest it's a piece of cake. What I meant is most serious tech divers I know (instructors and non) know how to put together a set of doubles. I just wanted to express how disturbed I was at the fact that that tech instructor didn't know how to do it.

Josh

PA/NJdiver once bubbled...
This past weekend I found out that a TDI instructor I know did not know how to set up a set of doubles. He can teach advance nitrox, stage decompression, trimix and dolphin rebreather, but he didn't know how to set up doubles. I don't understand how he can teach all of these classes but not know how to set up doubles. How common is this?

Stacey

Wow, that is very scary. They must be giving out advanced certifications to anyone now. He will probably end up seriously hurting himself or someone else.

Question: If cards can routinely be bought for these certifications by unqualified individuals, have any of the dive shops or charter boats considered not allowing divers with these TDI (or whatever agency) to dive? At least make them do a checkout dive to evaluate them.

Boy, good tread, and so true.

Some of what I have seen, it almost gets to the point that it seems to be an ego thing, look at all the letters and stuff on my C-card....don’t ya know that it makes me a good diver.....and are you not impressed. Experience, well like ya, I got the stuff on my card, and I did the check out dive(and lived…).
Somewhat like going into a doctors office with all the diplomas on the wall, it is impressive until you read were they are from(places you have never heard of) and then talk to the Doc, and find out he/she does not have a clue(think of a Simpson’s episode)... and please note that was a generalization.

now how do you put those doubles together??? :bonk: :bonk:

That is sad;-0 I manage a dive shop that does a little tech and as a manager I feel that I should know as much about the gear as I can so I don't get in a situation like that even if we don't sell the product. I should know what the heck people are talking about. All the guy had to do is read the directions for the manifold and bands and maybe post some thing on the board and he would have saved face. :D Even better he could have taken a class on technical diving and asked his instructor about setting a pair up. Maybe he got it on the internet. Is Sally Struthers pushing tech diving at home for the working professional?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

It isn't rocket science but it does take a little technique and there is a learning curve. Many just let a shop do it. In my area you would be hard pressed to find a shop that could do it.

My Advanced Nitrox students who use doubles put their own together in class. I had to teach myself.

Listen... I used to chase electrons for a living, and then I got into software and networking, and my mechanical aptitude isn't the highest... in fact, I might say that I'm below average, but the PDF file from DiveRite is almost a "Doubles for Dummies" whitepaper. I got mine together, so I'm not sure why other's are having an issue.

http://www.diverite.com/resource/start/index.htm

Just follow the bouncing ball.....
wb

My dive shop also had me put the doubles together.... I think that it should be required of ANYONE who purchases doubles....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom