The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KimLeece:
I think that the Pro' and Con's of DIR have been gone into many times on SB already - most people should be able to work out what's true and what's rubbish for themselves. On top of that, the links to GUE's own site - and other sites - have been readily available for people to find accurate information.

Yet people continue to spout falsehoods about the system, there are constantly questions "What is DIR?", and people seem to still have a hard time finding the search button. So, I'd say that, since misinformation is still being spread, it's important to correct it so when some enterprising individual DOES do a search and finds a thread with DIR in it, the facts are straight.

Soggy:
It's mostly because the anti-DIR comments are usually mis or underinformed that annoys me. People make assumptions, yet they have never met or seen a DIR diver, not to mention never taken a class.

Well now ... that works both ways. There's a certain cadre of DIR divers in here who keep pulling the "you're just a stroke" act every time someone says something they disagree with. And truth to tell, some of those folks are a bit misinformed as well.

Saw it recently in a thread about solo diving.

Saw it recently, directed at me, in a thread about AOW.

DIR is a great program. It's one that's fascinated me for a long time. It ain't, however, the end-all be-all of diving ... there are many excellent, solid divers out there who are not, and will never be, DIR.

"The Attitude" displayed by a few DIR fundamentalists has done a great deal to perpetuate the assumptions you dislike so much. Some of those people would be doing us all ... and DIR ... a service if they'd just shut up once in a while and let other people dive the way they want to without all the putdowns and condescending commentary.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Well now ... that works both ways. There's a certain cadre of DIR divers in here who keep pulling the "your just a stroke" act every time someone says something they disagree with. And truth to tell, some of those folks are a bit misinformed as well.

Aww, let's leave poor Oring out of this one, ok? :)

I agree, it does go both ways, and there has been a lot of mudslinging. Hell, do a search on my username and you'll find a lot of anti-DIR sentiment from back when I was a noob....so I understand as well as anyone the feelings.

Soggy:
Aww, let's leave poor Oring out of this one, ok? :)

I agree, it does go both ways, and there has been a lot of mudslinging. Hell, do a search on my username and you'll find a lot of anti-DIR sentiment from back when I was a noob....so I understand as well as anyone the feelings.

I'd prefer not to get personal ... it's more than just one person anyway.

Wouldn't it be better to present yourselves in a more constructive manner, though? If you don't want people making assumptions, don't give them the wherewithall to make them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Soggy:
Sometimes it seems to be a sort of 'conversion of faith' process - and many new believers then try as hard as they can to convert everyone else - almost diving missionaries! Whatever happened to 'Live and let live' ?

KimLeece:
Sometimes it seems to be a sort of 'conversion of faith' process - and many new believers then try as hard as they can to convert everyone else - almost diving missionaries! Whatever happened to 'Live and let live' ?

I don't believe I've tried to convert anyone....I could care less how you or anyone else outside my diving team dives. However, it is irritating when people make false claims and assumptions that reflect upon me. Usually that is the only time I jump into these type of debates.

Soggy:
There is a NO DIR forum. If you want to use it, go ahead. So far, no one has posted there.

Where is it? I'd love to be able to post serious questions about equipment that I dive, with be reticuled, flamed or made to feel stupid because it is not a 1 peice harness or jet fins?

KimLeece:

I'll try to explain that as a somewhat educated "outsider".

Once you start educating yourself on some of the principles of the system, you see how things fit together ... how much sense it makes ... and how much benefit you can derive by it.

When you find a good thing, don't you want to let people know about it? Me too ...

Certainly it's a sort of evangelising ... but I can't fault someone for trying to turn me on to a better way of doing things ... as long as they do it in a positive manner.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cortez:
Where is it? I'd love to be able to post serious questions about equipment that I dive, with be reticuled, flamed or made to feel stupid because it is not a 1 peice harness or jet fins?

It was an april fools joke by NetDoc. Unfortunately, the forum is locked so no one can post in it.

KimLeece:

Well...Neptune has promised 40 virgins in Jet Fins when we make it too Atlantis if we are all good little missionaries. So we go door to door, website to website looking for victims whom we may convert to the black DIR cult so we may all be drones that are one with the sea! :wink:

P.S. I'm really getting sick of all these religious conotations from people who don't get it! It's just scuba diving folks...get over it. If you have issues with DIR then go dive your own friggin way and quit being so critical of something you know NOTHING about!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom