The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zippsy:
The question I have to the non-DIR divers is why haven't YOU taken up DIR?
Don't know enough yet to be DIR or to reject DIR. Learned non-DIR. I plan on taking DIR-F to see. Have been influenced by SB to buy a wing. Who knows, I may be pre-DIR.

Another side of the issue.
I think that all fins can cause silt depending on the diver wearing them. As for me I did notice that they seem to silt up an area moreso than with other fins.
What I was getting at before was there is really no one fin for all situations. As for me, diving a wall with strong currents (Horse Shoe / Bolo Point in Okinawa) silt is not even a factor unless your at the bottom of it and then you have a lot more to worry about than silt.

yeah, I'm skeptical about split fin remarks too. A lot of pro's complained about them when they first came out, but the whining subsided a great deal when people learned how to use 'em effectively. I have a prof that dislikes using quattros 'cuz she's used to her force fins. Yeah, force fins, that people on this board love so much. :07:
I evenly use both splits and non-splits myself. Haven't tried backing up with either type though. I'm sure it can be done with splits if someone sticks with it.

archman:
Haven't tried backing up with either type though. I'm sure it can be done with splits if someone sticks with it.

You can cut a 2x4 in half with a razor blade if you stick with it...

Never noticed a silting issue. Don't dive caves however. For working on projects, like boats, etc., I still prefer rigid vented blades (Jets, etc.) But for recreational cruising I have grown to like splits. My 50+ legs don't seem to work as hard, and the real test is that my 6'4" teenage son, has commented about me cruising faster with my Atomics splits. As for silting, sounds like it may be a bouancy trim problem for some.

JCKCSYCMD:
As for silting, sounds like it may be a bouancy trim problem for some.

FWIW, there are some "Snake Oil" sales pitches out there, including one fin manufacturer who has "Theirs -vs- Ours" UW video that makes silting claims.

However, if you actually pay attention to the respective divers' trims, you can easily see that there's a good ~20 degree difference in the trim orientations of the two divers shown...and wouldn't you know it, but the silting diver using "their" fins is the one with the fins down trim orientation.

Gosh, golly, gee....

-hh

-hh:
FWIW, there are some "Snake Oil" sales pitches out there, including one fin manufacturer who has "Theirs -vs- Ours" UW video that makes silting claims.

However, if you actually pay attention to the respective divers' trims, you can easily see that there's a good ~20 degree difference in the trim orientations of the two divers shown...and wouldn't you know it, but the silting diver using "their" fins is the one with the fins down trim orientation.

Gosh, golly, gee....

-hh

What manufacturer has those videos?

SamDiver14:
I seem to get a sense of DIR as a marketing tactic. Does anyone else?

I don't not. even if there is, it's nothing compared to PADI.

BTW, Jon, I've just learned of soon to come out GUE DVD set - over 8 hours worth of videos! sweet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom