The "Thanks" button is gone - Take II.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that we are thanking the post, not the person. I have a tremendous amount of respect for some posters on Scubaboard and rarely thank their post if it was not exception in some way IMO.....the obvious (to most) exception is the Lionfish thread.

As has been said many times it would likely have been a better decision to simply hide the individual thanks count and keep the hack installed. This would have prevented an inflated **** to mislead a new member. Instead, we are where we are.

I ask a question back. At what point does it become unreasonable trying to protect a person from themselves to the detriment of the rest of the board? For clarification, this question is bigger than just the THANKs issue.

Is there the possibility that someone could run up their "Thanks!" count in so many of those nonsensical threads that it would lend an air of "Earned Authority" to them, and possibly mislead a newer or uneducated member into considering what they say, whether it was sound advice or not? I realize that subsequent posts may clarify that bad information, but what if it is clarified by members with lower "Thanks!" counts- does that make their opinions appear to be of less authority?

And is it the person we are thanking, or that particular post's information? Wouldn't the number of "Thanks!" a post received be a better indicator of it's worth than the number of "Thanks!" the poster receives?

A Scubaboard sticker instantly increases the value of any vehicle by at least 10%.*

*Your results may vary, since 85% of all statistics are made up on the spot. While a Scubaboard sticker will more than double the value of a '74 Pinto (though the Pinto may decrease the value of the Scubaboard sticker), appreciation of a 2010 Lexus is not measurably increased by the sticker. Sorry - the addition of a Scubaboard sticker will not make a 1985 Yugo worth anything, no matter how many Scubaboard stickers you attach to it.

AND adding stickers to your vehicle, no matter what make, MAY make it much easier to locate and identify you should you need to relocate quickly, in an attempt to avoid legal complications for your actions. IJS :D

You can also just install the Ad Blocker Plus plug-in for Firefox and that will get rid of all ads.... here as well as everywhere else.

I could never get that to work. So I went back to Chrome.

For those referencing Stickers, it took me 2 years, likely 15 PM's/emails and 2 memberships before I got 4 stickers (and I thank Teamcasa for being the only one to come through for me. Heck, Pete himself ignored 5 or 6 PM's from me on the subject as did other staff members. How is that for "Thanks for giving us $100 for what you could have for free!"

Pete's ridiculous attitude lately means this will be the last year there will be any colour in my name other than Blue.

…I ask a question back. At what point does it become unreasonable trying to protect a person from themselves to the detriment of the rest of the board? For clarification, this question is bigger than just the THANKs issue.

I tend to be laisser faire on the subject. Misleading and dangerous statements get corrected pretty quickly on any Internet forum. Facts ultimately win arguments that matter.

I ask a question back. At what point does it become unreasonable trying to protect a person from themselves to the detriment of the rest of the board? For clarification, this question is bigger than just the THANKs issue.

You can't ask such questions in today's environment. :no:

It could shake the very foundations of this nation's current rulers, to question the core of their belief system! Someone MUST protect us from ourselves, both here on SB, and in the real world! Without that control they have no reason to exist. :shakehead:

Damn Straight!
You Rock!
I concur with your conclusions.

This will get annoying.

Bring back the button... it helps more than it could possibly hurt... if hurt by Thanks is really even possible. But to limit Thanks, C'mon

Question for the board: If you can selectively add/remove the feature only on certain threads, could you please limit your use of this, on a case by case basis, only if it's an issue so the vast majority may continue to Thank in peace?

I don't see any way to enable it for only certain threads. There are restrictions that can be placed on it, which I am working on. For more information, please refer to the previous answers that I have given, highlighted below:

The Thanks button is not a standard feature of vBulletin. It is an add on or a "hack." As such, it appears to have to be updated separately whenever upgrades are done. When the hack was uninstalled, it appears that something was lost, reset, or :idk:

The reinstall appears to be having a configuration problem and I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous with it. I'm working through it, in my spare time, but it's not going to be an instantaneous fix.

To address Why? it was uninstalled, there were some complaints regarding the whole thanks issue and staff was reviewing these complaints to assess the merit and the course of action. Pete has been busy with other issues and missed most of the discussion, leaving it up to us to come to a consensus. When he came in and checked, his misread part of the discussion and killed the entire hack. He made note of that here:

So no, it was not done as a "control" thing. It was done as a result of a misunderstanding, which we are now working to correct.

Just to be clear, there are several issues that the Thanks! function has caused amongst users. It is not about an individual user, thread, or group. It's about a collective problem which I will not discuss further here.

In response to a few other comments that have been made in the thread:

• Yes, there have actually been complaints.
  • No, you don't have to believe that if you don't want to.
  • The reason why most of you aren't aware there is a problem is because you're not the ones that the emails, PM's and reports get sent to.
  • Just because you can't envision how something can cause a problem for another user doesn't mean that it can't.
  • People have the right to disagree on their opinions of the Thanks! or how they use it.
  • Things that we consider abuses will be dealt with on an individual basis once it's been reinstalled.
  • Expect that there will be some functionality changes and limitations

I could never get that to work. So I went back to Chrome.

For those referencing Stickers, it took me 2 years, likely 15 PM's/emails and 2 memberships before I got 4 stickers (and I thank Teamcasa for being the only one to come through for me. Heck, Pete himself ignored 5 or 6 PM's from me on the subject as did other staff members. How is that for "Thanks for giving us $100 for what you could have for free!"

Pete's ridiculous attitude lately means this will be the last year there will be any colour in my name other than Blue.

You think that's bad, One of my dive buddies and business partners ( who's also in the Sticker Printing Business) offered to print Pete and Scubaboard all the stickers they wanted, basically, for FREE, just to "Help Out" and NEVER GOT A REPLY to any of his PM's.....

SO, let's none of us start feeling bad about any supposed shortage of stickers..lol

LOOKS like it's back... :thumb:

In Reply to your post [post=5315787]Thanks Reactivated[/post]
The Thanks! button has been re-activated. It is currently enabled forum wide, but that decision is still pending further review.

-The thanks counter has not been re-activated.

-The number of thanks per day has been capped.

-Other suggestions made by the users have been considered, but either were not practical, viable, or possible to implement at this time.

-Individual issues will be addressed as they occur.

The Thanks button has been reactivated and a post has been made about it here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/site-support/340145-thanks-reactivated.html

Since the thanks issue has been resolved, I'm closing this thread. If you wish to discuss this new point further, please start a separate thread on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom