Tipping Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZoSo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm about to take the Rescue Course next month and under stand that there may be more than one instructor. Should all get a tip and if so how much?

Nah...just tip the DMs! The instructors are already getting HUGE salaries! :D

Ian
PADI DM 2354054

I'm about to take the Rescue Course next month and under stand that there may be more than one instructor. Should all get a tip and if so how much?

Just my opinion, I do not believe that tipping your instructor is necessary. They are already receiving a salary for their services.Why is it that tipping is almost expected at so many businesses? I have seen tip jars at donut shops,burger stands,etc. I receive an hourly rate of pay at my job,nothing more,nothing less.

Take the class first. Then decide if want to give a tip. If you receive outstanding service and personalized attention, you may decide to give a tip. Otherwise, it is not necessary. A nice alternative to a monetary tip is a gift certificate (local restaurant, coffee shop, etc)...but, again, only based on your opinion after the class.

Tips are appreciated but should not be expected or required. If the instructor does a great job over and above what you expect then give them a tip.

Tell you what, instead of tipping the instructor(s) (which doesn't actually make any sense to me), why not bring some easy-to-eat food to class? If it's evenings after work, that can be really nice, indeed. Someone in my Rescue class was a manager of a local restaurant. He brought food to share with class (we only had a few of us) and was *quite* well received. :biggrin:

(Um... but please, no asparagus before pool sessions! :eek: :D)

I agree with Beachlover! There's just too much tipping going around today. A tip for a donut and a black coffee? You've got to be kidding.:rofl3:

It never occurred to me to tip my diving instructor, and I'm up all the way through Rescue. I guess I see it as, I don't tip my professors at college so why would I tip another person who is a paid teacher.

For anything, I am more than willing to make everybody foodstuffs like brownies, cookies, etc. since I really enjoy cooking for people.

--Shannon

I never expect a tip and have turned down the ones that were offered. It embarrasses me (don't ask me why). I have had students bring me back something from a dive trip. I've also had students give me some gift or other. I think that is very cool; that they liked me enough to think of me outside of class. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom