Tipping Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tipping is a practice that came from the ability to pay a non-professional performing a menial task to do it better for a little bit of extra money. If you think your instructor is subject to such circumstances I would suggest finding a new instructor instead.

Tipping divemasters (the position, not the cert. level) and boat mates is expected in the dive industry. Personally, I would be slightly insulted if someone offered me a tip as an instructor.

I would not be insulted:)..
usual tip in the $25. range..
Had quite a few in the $100. + area.
Best ones were the " We will fly you to our
condo on Star Island,there will be a private capt/boat there to have us complete training dives"
Or the "We will cover your expenses to join us on Grand Cayman to complete our training dives.". Took them up on it every time.
I feel a tip is a show of appreciation for the attention/care given to the client.
Never really expected but always appreciated.

One note about tippiing with beer or or booze: Not everyone drinks. Peope who don't drink are sometimes offeneded at being give beer or even fine liquer (I once was shocked when coworker refused a tip of a bottle of Crown Royale....I was SHOCKED. I would've bought the bottle from him..)

Just a thought.

I never have tipped an instructor or DM...they are comp. by my class fee that is the instructor and the DM should be taken care by the dive shop or indp. instructor IMO. And I am a DM and was never tipped....offered once but refused.

The only tip I might hand-out to them is one on how they might improve upon their program or such.

One note about tipping with beer or or booze: Not everyone drinks. People who don't drink are sometimes offended at being give beer or even fine liquer
Well, I for one don't drink (which makes me a great asset on dive trips, I might add... I just need to pick up an actual chauffeur's cap :biggrin:), but if someone wants to give me alcohol, I suppose I'd be more than happy to cook with it. :wink:

I've never been tipped monetarily while acting in a DM capacity with classes or checkouts (where we tip the boat crew, but not the shop DMs). However, I have been treated to an occasional lunch during a class or trip. I certainly appreciated the gesture, but it has never been expected. It's just not customary in my area.

Nah...just tip the DMs! The instructors are already getting HUGE salaries! :D

Ian
PADI DM 2354054

Hmmm....I must have been working at the wrong shops for all these years. What instructors make a salary? I barely break even after member ship fees and liability insurance. What we instructors make per student calculates to less than minimum wage. I would love to talk to an instructor thats associated with a shop that is making these HUGE salaries everyone keeps talking about. Seriously tips are not expected but brings a smile to my face to know that all the hard work was appreciated by someone.:D

The main thing to remember is that everyone appreciates an expression of gratitude. No matter what form that takes - a few bucks, a bottle, a t-shirt from a trip, or even just a sincere thanks and a handshake - just be sure to let everyone who helped out with the class know that you appreciate the time and effort they invested in helping you to become a better diver.

I would not be insulted:)..
usual tip in the $25. range..
Had quite a few in the $100. + area.
Best ones were the " We will fly you to our
condo on Star Island,there will be a private capt/boat there to have us complete training dives"
Or the "We will cover your expenses to join us on Grand Cayman to complete our training dives.". Took them up on it every time.
I feel a tip is a show of appreciation for the attention/care given to the client.
Never really expected but always appreciated.
I guess it depends on your definition of a tip. $25 is a tip, a free trip is compensation for a service provided.

IF you were to tip the instructor, what amount would be customary.

That is a completely different animal, or should I say animals!

Everywhere is different, and even in the same location; everyone is different.

Underwater Connection in Colorado Springs, Ginnie Springs in Cave Country, Ocean Divers on Key Largo, Scuba Luv on Catalina, Lahina Divers on Maui; you could get the same level cert cards from all these locations but the prices are all different, the product is not necessarily the same, the instructors are definitely not the same and the typical student is different for each location.

Or take Kona, Hawaii; you could get the same certs from Wanna Dive, Jack's Diving Locker or the Kona Aggressor. Those operations are different from each other in many ways, but the diving environment is very similar so the product is not so different. The tips are very different, and we haven't even touched on training at a dive resort, or a resort with diving.

To have any chance of getting an accurately answer to your question on ScubaBoard, you need ask the question in the forum for the region you are going to train in and specify the outfit (or outfits) you are considering training with. In the main forum you will get tons of answers that only apply on the other side of the world (or as good as).

Back
Top Bottom