Tipping Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I am working in the wrong shop. But tips are a large part of my income. I try to provide excellent service. Many times we are not really compensated for the extra time that we take with our students.

I provide them with knowledge of the new sport. Yes that is my job. I feel that I give excellent service.....

If I do not go above and beyond the norm. Then I understand no tips. But on the days that I am a DM on the boat and I have to do a rescue. Do you think that would warrant a tip. Or watch your kids, or entertain them so that others on the boat do not want to throw them over. Or you come with new equipment not put together, I will put it together for you, but also bring along extra in case your does not work correctly.

My job also involves taking care of those that get sea sick, and cleaning up after them. You see it is more than just diving. I love what I do and think that I am good at it. I remember that you are on vacation and I want you to have a great experience. But I still have bills to pay at the end of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most rescue classes make use of divemasters. They are typically unpaid. I'd tip them but not the instructor who is being paid to teach the course.

Yes, when personal service is given, even in an instructional situation, tipping is appropriate.

Personally I always tip, partly because I worked for 9 months as a DM before college and I remember it was a hard slog for not much pay, and partly because I want to let my instructor know that I really appreciate the service. I am fortunate enought to make decent money, so it is nice to be able to share a little with those who make it possible for me to enjoy my favourite hobby (even if they are paid a salary to do it). If they make my day a good one, the least I can do is try and return the favour.

If I do not go above and beyond the norm. Then I understand no tips. But on the days that I am a DM on the boat and I have to do a rescue. Do you think that would warrant a tip.

Reminds me of when I was working as a DM, one of the instructors had to rescue a guy who had gotten into real flap on the surface. Come the end of the day the guy pulled out his American Express Platinum card (1991, back when such cards were rare) to tip him. It certainly impressed the hell out of all of us, and did a great deal for diver safety on our boats as we all looked out like hawks for the first sign of trouble after that.

Reminds me of when I was working as a DM, one of the instructors had to rescue a guy who had gotten into real flap on the surface. Come the end of the day the guy pulled out his American Express Platinum card (1991, back when such cards were rare) to tip him. It certainly impressed the hell out of all of us, and did a great deal for diver safety on our boats as we all looked out like hawks for the first sign of trouble after that.

Yeah, but if he wasn't rescued it might have been a few days before the card got cancelled... :D

As we're taliking about tipping, what is an appropriate amount of tip? Say for DM's helping with a class or on a boat?

Tipping is a practice that came from the ability to pay a non-professional performing a menial task to do it better for a little bit of extra money. If you think your instructor is subject to such circumstances I would suggest finding a new instructor instead.

Tipping divemasters (the position, not the cert. level) and boat mates is expected in the dive industry. Personally, I would be slightly insulted if someone offered me a tip as an instructor.

Stevead...like your thinking. mmmm beer:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom