Tipping the DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhogan4342

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I usually tip the Dm $5.00 USD per dive if he is a good one but I rarely see any other divers tipping. Whats you guys take this.

dhogan4342:
I usually tip the Dm $5.00 USD per dive if he is a good one but I rarely see any other divers tipping. Whats you guys take this.

Week longtrip, day dive? US... or what economic area?

In Honduras, we throw down $45 each to the boat Captain and DM for 10 rides of two tank boat dives. That's usualy what they get from those who do tip (over and above the 10% of-the-total-package-price tip jar)

Many of them pull down $450 a week and in Honduras, that's major league cash.

Alot of 1 week trips and two tank dives at 10.00 tip per two tanks

dhogan4342:

My standard tip is $10 for two tanks, or $5 per dive. If they do something extra for me I'll increase the tip. If they don't do much, I'll cut the tip down. I once gave a DM nothing for a 4 day trip, the guy did nothing but sit on his butt.

I think $100 a dive is reasonable...but then again, I'm a DM candidate. :D

xSandman3:
I think $100 a dive is reasonable...but then again, I'm a DM candidate. :D

DIT'S Need signs that say will work for food. I worked a lot of classes getting my DM I got the training and usually a good meal for helping out different instructors. Good luck in your class.

I work for air fills, and end up cooking the food. We eat well, that's true! :D

cannon_guy:
I work for air fills, and end up cooking the food. We eat well, that's true! :D

Grilling hamburges while the instructors fill out log books. It is the best I enjoy DM'ing very much.

dhogan4342:

There are a lot of divers that just plain don't tip. Many international divers don't tip, as it's not the custom in many countries. Most new divers don't tip because they don't know any different. Some won't tip if an owner is on the boat, but that just sort of punishes the remaining crew if they don't hand a tip directly to them.

Many other divers somehow feel they've got to sneak the tip to the crew and so you might not be seeing them tip. I'm not sure if it's just to not appear as a "big spender" in front of other customers, if it's to hide it from a spouse, or some other reason.

Your tip seems to be the standard I've seen here in Hawaii.

Back
Top Bottom