Tipping the DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xSandman3:
I think $100 a dive is reasonable...but then again, I'm a DM candidate. :D

I bribed a DM once with a $50 tip to get rid of a snorkler on our charter.

Typically about $5 per tank. I have also left gear I did not really want to haul back with me on a plane. Sometimes the DMs are in need of new or used gear.

RoatanMan:
Week longtrip, day dive? US... or what economic area?

In Honduras, we throw down $45 each to the boat Captain and DM for 10 rides of two tank boat dives. That's usualy what they get from those who do tip (over and above the 10% of-the-total-package-price tip jar)

Many of them pull down $450 a week and in Honduras, that's major league cash.

xSandman3:
LOL...did it work?

You betcha. And he didn't even have to throw her overboard. :D

I was always told $5 a tank. It's bad enough to not tip a waiter and have them remember you on a return trip and who knows what is in your food but its another thing to have a DM remember you and be farting in your air tanks. :)

It really all depends 'where you are diving', I dive mostly SE Asia, certain countries such as Indonesia where the custom of tipping (outside of Bali at least) is rather rare. But some of these places have tip jars or boxes, which get distributed to the crew or staff every month or so, otherwise how would you do it, really can't see going around to each and every individual as the crew members change every day in some resorts.
As far as the amount, once again it depends where you are at. In alot of these countries the minimum wage is only around $US3 a day if they are lucky, so tipping US$5 a tank, might really cause some problems!

tboxcar:
so tipping US$5 a tank, might really cause some problems!

How would tipping cause problems?

Even when we have stayed at an all-inclusive resort where the tip is included and the workers can get in trouble for taking tips I have always tipped the ones who took real good care of us. It isn't that hard to be creative in slipping some bills to a person and they were incrdibly appreciative. I could never go to a resort knowing I make in an hour what they make in a month and not make sure to take care of those that take care of me. Just Kharma.

I have always dove on small crews where there is one boat captain and one (sometimes 2) DM's. Usually the DM or boat captain is helping everyone off the boat back on to the pier and it is easy to "slip" it to him on your way up.

Just my 2 cents

tboxcar:
But some of these places have tip jars or boxes, which get distributed to the crew or staff every month or so, otherwise how would you do it, really can't see going around to each and every individual as the crew members change every day in some resorts.

I am guessing people in a third world country would not let tips sit around for "a month or so" I would guess they would divide it up at the end of each day so that it went to the people that worked with those that tipped. Similar to the tip jar at a bar. At least that is how we did it when I was slinging drinks.

we dont practice tipping the dms down here. these guys usually factor their tips in advance in the dive fees:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom