Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Different people need different levels of service. You'll have the just need a ride out and back guys and on the same trip have people that need you to do everything but the dive for them. Five a tank would be the need a ride guy. 20 wouldn't be out of the park for someone that needs everything done for them.

Yep.
Just give me a ride and point (if I can't find the water myself!) :D. $5 a tank.

Yep.
Just give me a ride and point (if I can't find the water myself!) :D. $5 a tank.

I likea dem people from Estonia---I tink.......lol

Well maybe I've seen this asked but not recently. What is the consensus on tipping on the boat dive. Amount and who? If it matters my trip will be in Aruba.

It's regional.

I don't think anybody has been tipped on our shop boat in the last 50 years. OTOH, everybody has to carry and assemble their own gear, do their own dive, find their own way back to the boat and get their own butt out of the water, so it's not a "concierge service" type of thing. :D

AFAIK, in the Caribbean, everybody wants a tip. I generally tip $10/tank if they keep out of my hair and find cool stuff, but don't harass it, $5 if they help me and $0 is they screw up badly.

Terry

I just tipped $50 to all the Captains and DM's that I went diving with at a shop in Kona,HI for 5 days and a total of 19dives. My tips came out just over 25% of what I spent at the shop.
From the reaction I recieved they didn't think it was enough.

In the future I'm going to keep it to $5 a tank for US boats, and enough to cover a couple of beers per crew member outside the US.

I generally start off thinking of 10-20% of the charter cost and adjust dependent on the service received. Therefore, I often end up paying $5-10 per tank according to the perceived benefits.

Good diving, Craig

I am glad to see the 5.00 a tank people. That is what I do on vacation but other people tiped around 20.00 and made me feel cheap. But I did carry my two tanks and gear. Just like the above post said,"Just point at the water". I can do the rest.

I may be a bit biased being a crew member on a boat myself, but I tip $20 for a two-tank trip as long as folks are friendly and help me have a fun, safe day. In fact, I tend to advise the crew/DMs upfront that I'm a pretty low-maintenance, self-sufficient passenger and they should feel free to focus their attention on other passengers who may actually be in need of assistance. I'm not shy...if I need a hand, I'll let someone know! Would rather have them ensuring no-one else gets into some kind of trouble that will end their - and my - dive day early. (Note to any op/DM/crew I might dive with - I'll also blend my own tanks, carry them to the boat, help the other passengers gear up if they need a hand, and tote a few empties off the boat when we get back if you don't watch out. Can't help it I guess!)

i hate taking $$$ on the boat w/ me so i usually put it on the card at the end of the trip if i do multi-day dives.

I only take the amount I will tip incase someone takes it. That has never happened since divers are usually good people

As with any tip it depends how flush I am and how well I am treated.

$20 for a 3 tank day, attentive crew, good chow, sound reasonable to me. At the brewpub thats four beers not counting the tip and believe me diving is more fun!

Bob
-------------
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom