Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing happens but service industry people here depend on tips just like those in the US. When visiting a foreign country knowing their customs is part of what a savvy traveller should know. Nowadays there is no excuse not to. So in a place where tipping is part of a providers expected income and the service was good, you just look like either an ignorant person or a cheapskate I guess. Nothing bad will happen to you except karma.

I like the other the other answer better. It just a different culture. We don’t all do things the same way. If service is phenomenal we would leave a phenomenal tip so it just seems to be giving a fairer thank you to someone who deserves it.

This is a bit rude about ignorant or cheapskate comment.
Im quite sure that some just don't want or are not used to or simply forgot. or just simply the culture.

I prefer to pay +15% tips already inclued inside the price and not think again to bring money or (pay again) and fully enjoy my dives. I won't forgot the big smile and a thank you from the bottom of my heart with other blabla etc etc.

I will read the other thread' 15 pages about tipping too to have more arguments to have.

Now questions. If you come in Europe where in some country it's clearly not a culture to give tips- will you give yourself a tip because you are used to and expected to receive or will you just google 'scuba diving tips in europe' and finally don't do it cause that article told european are not used to receive tips.

example of culture:
The dude who work in Service Station in my country do serve our car gasoil and we don't give tips.
They are paid 9.10 $ US fixed hourly (minimum salaries). Now as I refill my car each week (even for 20$ refill) for quite 7 months now I do take 5 min everytime to come by and say hello to everyone - buy a coffe or a bottle of energy drink to make the day great again. Now if I have to tip 1 person and I know clearly everyone this is not fair - from my culture this is 'weird'. and I am quite sure if I have a car issue or I need a service I will get help without spending money or just a pack of beer.

Last edited:
The OP specifically asked about Panama City Beach (PCB), Florida. I agree with the $10/tank. You'll find plenty of debate in other threads about tipping elsewhere. There are threads on tipping in Cozumel, threads on tipping in Indonesia. This guy asked about Florida. A good point made in the thread about tipping in Cozumel was that the best bet is to follow local customs/culture--it all depends where you are. In Florida, $10/tank is probably spot on.

I see people suggesting to tip $10-$15 a tank... guys this is like paying the dive two times.
I understand that overseas there could be a different culture, but all this "i must tip" nonsense... is, well.. a nonsense.
You pay for a professional service, often you pay a LOT for a professional service, and everyone deserves it... if the crew is doing something special for you that isn't normally included in what you paid, or if they "helped" you someway, of if they have been friendly giving personal attentions and such, you may think to tip them.
But if they did nothing else than what it was included in what you already paid, what are tipping for? For the thin air?

90% of my dives are in Europe, if i try to tip the boat crew, they will refuse the money saying I paid already for the service, why it should be different in other countries? If it's a matter of "poverty", then call it "charity".

If tipping is mandatory and part of the price: include the tip in the price and don't call me a short arm.

@npole, I disagree as far as tipping in the US. It's different in Europe, where dive staff's wages fully compensate them for their work. In the US, as you may know, there are types of employees who are not paid fully, and the tacit understanding among employee, employer, and customer is that the customer is expected to pay a part of the employee's compensation--it's referred to as a "tip," but in reality it is simply a normal portion of the person's compensation, and has little to do with the historical purpose of a tip, which was to reward good service. So, the answer to your question of "why should it be different in other countries" is that it IS different in the US.

Even if you're paying $30/tank?

Yup.

In Florida, it is my assumption that boat crew receive no meaningful wages except for tips. I think that what they do is worthwhile. Some people tip very little or not at all. I do not believe that tipping $10 a tank results in excessive compensation for the crew. I do adjust what I tip depending on circumstances and on the level of service provided. I believe $10 a tank is a good starting point and general guideline.

90% of my dives are in Europe, if i try to tip the boat crew, they will refuse the money saying I paid already for the service, why it should be different in other countries? If it's a matter of "poverty", then call it "charity".

If tipping is mandatory and part of the price: include the tip in the price and don't call me a short arm.

Exactly and a lot of european divers can feedback that right.
People might feel embarrassed to receive a tip when they are already paid.
They sign for that - for a minimum salaries. Now some local dive shop/center do exploits and when you have a broken useless laws this is worse.
Now of course you will be happy if you receive something.

I know that Divemaster (they work for free) / Voluntary instructor (the same) are not paid at all- even if the dive shop/center do a 60$ 1-tank.
But most of time they don't receive tips either. Cause we do pay for a 60$ 1-tank and that's all.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom