Tips for all going to Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good Sharm Diver Operators - I’m looking for recommendations for good dive operators in Sharm. We did a lot of Red Sea diving about ten years ago, including liveaboards, and are now back in the region. We’re looking for a professional operation appropriate for experienced divers (200+ dives each). We’re not necessarily looking for the cheapest operator. We’re focused on Sharm, but also open to returning to Hurghada or Marsa Alam. Many thanks.

I have had a good experience with Camel Diving in Sharm. I would use them again.

Red Sea diving holidays in Sharm El Sheikh | Camel Dive Club and Hotel

GJS

Dec 1 2016 was warm enough for 3mm. What a pleasant surprise that was ( with hood and cool Guard shirt)

What mm wetsuit do you intend to wear whilst diving?

1 Where in the Red Sea? Temperature in the Sudan and Aquba varies with 5-6 C at the same time.
2 What time of year? Temperature vary 7-8 C over the year in the same place.
3 How many dives/day?
4 Long or short dives?
5 For how many concecutive days?

As you can figure, there are several ’correct’ answers to a seemingly simple question.
Your body is 37 degrees C. Even ”warm” water will eventually chill you down.
For liveaboard diving for non beginners (decent gas consumption) a full 3-5 mm the warm half of the year is what most will use in Egypt.
During colder months a 7 with hoodie is recommended, even a dry suit is not unusual. On a liveaboard in summer you’ll spend 3-4 hours every day for 6 days in a row in water that is roughly 10 degrees below your body temperature. Hoodie is easy to bring and many use it in summer too.
Resort diving (2 dives/day) and beginners who don’t do long dives — shorties and skins might be fine in summer.

Last edited:
I'm doing a liveaboard out of Port Ghalib with Bluewater Photo in August. They will be providing a shuttle for us from Hurghada down to the port. Any problem with a female wearing shorts for that day? I do have long pants for the following week when we're doing a land tour, but would rather not have to wear them until then.

I'm doing a liveaboard out of Port Ghalib with Bluewater Photo in August. They will be providing a shuttle for us from Hurghada down to the port. Any problem with a female wearing shorts for that day? I do have long pants for the following week when we're doing a land tour, but would rather not have to wear them until then.

Your driver is likely to stop at a rest stop along the way so you can use the facilities, and of course there will be vendors selling stuff. They would be accustomed to western tourist women wearing shorts, but as I recall, my wife brought along the sarong that she brings whenever we travel to muslim regions and dug it out of her daypack to temporarily cover up for rest stops and such. Then again, she chose to cover her hair in Cairo--maybe she's overly concerned about cultural faux pas.

Your driver is likely to stop at a rest stop along the way so you can use the facilities, and of course there will be vendors selling stuff. They would be accustomed to western tourist women wearing shorts, but as I recall, my wife brought along the sarong that she brings whenever we travel to muslim regions and dug it out of her daypack to temporarily cover up for rest stops and such. Then again, she chose to cover her hair in Cairo--maybe she's overly concerned about cultural faux pas.
... or quite smart by erring on the safe side...

Thanks, didn't think about a rest stop. Guess I'll go with the pants. I'll stand out enough with my blonde hair, which I won't cover.
Ive been to Eygept many times and particuraly Sinai, there isnt any problem walking with short pants as a woman. (Provided you are not inside a holy /cultural place like a mosque or memorial )

Sure, you might get several looks from the locals but that's pretty much it.

I've seen tourists walking around dressed in a way that i wouldn't even wear at home, let alone a Muslim country. no one batted an eye, the locals are pretty much used to seeing tourists.

Since I do not like to see woman dressed in Burka in my country, I believe that woman should be dressed in a way that respects local manners. So in Egypt, my wife does not bare short pants. It is a matter of respect for the population one is visiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom