Training too fast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished my OW cert and on the same weekend I got nitrox and peak performance certified. My instructor wants me to go on a deep dive, a night dive, and underwater navigation to complete my advanced certification. Should i go on my own dives before training more? Am I being pushed to fast or is it wise to train early?

I would do some diving, maybe 20 or so more, then go on, but more training can't hurt right away either. Not much of an answer. But am curious- you said "OW cert. and on the same weekend...got Nitrox and PPB cert." How many hours were you diving or in a classroom on that weekend??? Some e learning ahead of time perhaps?

From the dive shop's perspective, the more people they channel into AOW class, the more money they make on scuba equipment sales.
Here in SoCal, the shops "highly recommend" that a diver owns his/her scuba gear (BCD, exposure suit, reg, computer, etc.) prior to taking the AOW class. It's a business. Prospective AOW students need to understand this and take it into consideration when responding to encouragement/recommendation/pressure to progress in their dive training. Pushed by instructors to take AOW immediately after OW class, divers often find the "encouragement" flattering. They think: "My instructor must be impressed with my skills -- that's why he's encouraging me to take AOW right away." I've seen several people get pushed into taking AOW too early or doing DM training for the wrong reasons.

Take your time gaining experience after basic OW class. For most people who can dive locally, I recommend doing 20-40 dives on your own before taking AOW class. Rescue class should be taken when the diver is very comfortable in the water while diving (mastered buoyancy control, can successfully plan dives, developed solid buddy skills, experienced diving in several different kinds of conditions, etc.). For many people, this level of comfort is reached in 50-100 lifetime dives. It's my personal feeling that all scuba divers should be CPR-certified and first aid trained. Those classes should be taken sooner rather than later.

I believe that you should actually take an upper level course with a local experienced instructor first for the following reasons:

1. You don’t have the sufficient experience to be able to dive under various conditions on your own. Hooking up with local experienced divers is one option but I would advise against it since the local divers can be very experienced but they are normally not trained to be instructors and/or have the background for mentoring novice divers. Not every experienced diver can be or is a good instructor. I have seen it in the past where these experienced divers get the newbie diver in difficult circumstances that are dangerous to the newbie without knowing it or having the special "instructor instinct" to know when no is a no. They don't generally have the instinct or knowledge to be able to do "knowledge transfer" in a safe and accountable manner.

2. I am of the school of thought that believes OW course graduates/newly certified students should enroll in the next upper level course as soon as they are done with the entry level course to enable them to gain more experience under professional supervision. The AOW course should be designed to condense a season's worth of dive experience in one course (8 - 10 dives) to make sure that the student gains the necessary experience in a structured and professionally supervised environment without the potentially unsafe conditions when one try's to do it on their own.

3. Since the newbie diver is "new" to diving, he probably doesn't know any people to dive with and taking an upper level course is a very good way to get to know other certified divers who share the same interest and are serious about diving and becoming better divers. This would also give the newly certified diver the opportunity to "select" his dive buddy after observing his fellow students in the course and to ensure that his future buddy has gone through a similar course to what he did instead of diving with the "insta-buddies" he will inevitably have to endure if he just showed up on a dive site looking for a buddy.

The value of the upper level training program is greatly dependent on the instructor and his professionalism and background/experience. Taking an upper level program with an instructor whose idea of teaching is "hey come and dive with me and/or tag along" is not worthwhile and shouldn't be considered IMO. You need to interview the instructor and make sure that he has real structure and content to his course where you will actually be doing real skills and real diving. The content of the course should be geared towards producing independent divers who are knowledgeable enough to know the limits of their abilities and have the knowledge and courage to say no when conditions are beyond their limits.

Taking the AOW course immediately after the entry level course with the qualified instructor will certainly help you avoid the pitfalls of trying to doing it on your own or under unqualified instructor wanna be. I believe that it would be much better for you to learn it right the first time in a proper course under the guidance of the local experienced instructor instead of trying to unlearn bad habits much later after the "damage is done." What benefit would an AOW course have later?

Last edited:
Thanks Burhan! your post seems the most logical to me. I was very comfortable in the water but i think it is wise to learn it right the first time. My plan is to go on a few dives where i originally got certified so i will be comfortable, and practice what i have learned. Then in a couple months take those courses. i think i should continue on to the rescue diver course at least as soon as i can. thanks for all the helpful posts you guys. Cant believe how supportive this forum is.

You are welcome!! There is a great deal of good advice here. Some of this advice on SB might be contradictory but this is only due to the fact that most of us have different experience levels and different backgrounds. It is up to you to filter what is relevant to you and what make sense to your special circumstance and environment.

Safe Diving!!

Thanks Burhan! your post seems the most logical to me. I was very comfortable in the water but i think it is wise to learn it right the first time. My plan is to go on a few dives where i originally got certified so i will be comfortable, and practice what i have learned. Then in a couple months take those courses. i think i should continue on to the rescue diver course at least as soon as i can. thanks for all the helpful posts you guys. Cant believe how supportive this forum is.

Sounds like a perfect plan. I especially like the Rescue part.

My instructor wants me to go on a deep dive, a night dive, and underwater navigation to complete my advanced certification.

Firstly, don't get confused about the AOW course. It isn't an 'advanced' diving level. It is Advanced Open Water, i.e. an 'extension' of your Open Water course. The OW course teaches you the basics that you need to know, in order to safely utilise SCUBA equipment underwater. AOW takes you beyond that and introduces you to some of the actual activities you can enjoy whilst using that SCUBA equipment. It adds the 'fun' element in diving. If OW teaches you 'how' to dive... AOW teaches you 'why' to dive. Of course, a good instructor will also ensure that the extra AOW dives are also utilised to help fine-tune and further develop your core foundation SCUBA skills; such as buoyancy, propulsion, trim, control, situational awareness, multi-tasking, buddy skills, dive planning and gas management. Not every instructor is a 'good' instructor...and not every instructor bothers to ensure that foundational skill improvement is a strong focus in their AOW training courses. Much of the bad feedback concerning AOW courses stems from divers experiencing poorly motivated, lazy instructors who treat the AOW course as nothing more than a series of 'themed fun dives'. It shouldn't be that way.

I did my OW and AOW back-to-back, and felt that it made me a much safer, confident and competant diver during those awkward initial stages of development. Spending time in the water with a good instructor was invaluable - not only for the safety of gaining experience whilst supervised, but also because I was constantly exposed to a good role-model who could offer critical feedback and ensure that I was applying my training correctly. I also gained an appreciation of different diving activities, which helped me form a clearer idea of type of diving that interested me. That paid dividends when it came to selecting and purchasing my dive equipment. Having attained the AOW certification, I was also in a position where I was ready to take the Rescue Diver course. IMHO, you cannot call yourself a 'complete' scuba diver unless you have the capability to conduct self and buddy rescue.

Should i go on my own dives before training more?

The primary drawback to recieving lots of training at the early stage is that it is easier to form a reliant mindset, because you are continually supported/directed by a dive leader. That mindset can hamper the divers' long-term development. Having said that, a good instructor will ensure that the student is taking increasing responsibility for their diving and should withdraw the amount of 'dive leadership' they provide and let the student increasingly 'take the reigns'.

You don't need to take lots of courses, but some form of mentorship is invaluable at the early stages of your development. If you have access to dive with a highly experience buddy, who is willing to mentor and develop you, then that is a fine option. However, many divers don't have access to such a relationship - and thus, formalized training/certification courses are the only option.

Am I being pushed to fast or is it wise to train early?

I think it is entirely logical to train first. Having recieved the training, you can then gain experience knowing what to do. There is a certain logic towards getting the skills, then learning -through experience- how to apply them. In contrast, what is the point of gaining experience, if you don't possess skills that you can develop during that experience?

The PADI OW course gets a lot of criticism because it provides only the 'bare bones' of knowledge and skill needed by scuba divers. Many divers feel that it is too short and/or incomplete...especially when compared to certain other agencies, whose entry-level courses contain many more dives and include skills up to the rescue diver level. However, the system is modular and there is an expectation that students will continue education to improve their skills. By combining OW and AOW, and viewing them as a singular structure, you are basically creating a more complete entry-level course, that provides a more substantial amount of time in the water and a more complete range of skills.

The right approach is to get the training, then learn to apply it through gaining independant experience. Pretty much everyone on this thread is agreeing with that principle. The crux of people's advice to you is determined by whether they consider the OW course as 'complete', or whether they regard supplementary courses as necessary to provide you with the full spectrum of skills that you need to possess before you go out independantly to apply and ingrain them.

Taking the OW and AOW classes back-to-back guarantees that the student will be conducting an AOW "deep" dive before his 10th lifetime dive. I suppose some instructors and students might be comfortable with that in warm water conditions with good visibility.

Here in SoCal, depending on the instructor and scheduling constraints, the AOW "deep" dive is usually done at a max depth of approx. 100 fsw in cold, dark water with visibility that can vary from 5 - 25 ft.

When I finally did my AOW class dives, I was happy to have the experience/confidence I gained from the 35+ independent dives following basic OW class. By then, my buoyancy control was very good, my buddy skills were honed, I had developed an appreciation for gas management, and I had enough mental bandwidth to absorb the new material in the AOW class. There was one student in our AOW class who had come directly from basic OW class. He struggled on the AOW class dives. He couldn't really enjoy the boat, night, deep, and wreck dives because he was blowing through his air so quickly and he wasn't confident with his buoyancy control. The rest of us had a great time.

I think one of the best things I ever did fresh out of basic OW class was join a couple of dive clubs in my area. It gave me access to divers of all experience levels. I got to see both good diving technique and...ahem..."less desirable" technique. I was able to do several conservative dives, well within my ability, at the same dive site where I did my basic OW certification dives. Those early dives helped me figure out what works and what doesn't work with new-to-me buddies. It made me think about the kind of dive buddy that I wanted to be and the weird things that can happen when important topics aren't discussed during pre-dive planning. I learned to appreciate the additional task-loading that comes with night diving. But then again, that's the learning process that works for me. I can see how a different path might suit someone else's learning style.

I do agree with you about the deep dive, BubbleTrubble. We have had a couple of deaths in Puget Sound that were students fresh out of AOW, diving deep on their own and running out of gas. There just isn't enough taught about planning.

Back
Top Bottom