Victoria ScubaBoard Monthly Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just looking at the current tables. September 10th looks like a decent Saturday night for a gathering at Ten Mile Point. Any interest?

2005-09-10 06:44 PDT Sunrise
2005-09-10 06:48 PDT 3.50 knots Max Flood
2005-09-10 10:18 PDT -0.00 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2005-09-10 13:13 PDT -2.60 knots Max Ebb
2005-09-10 14:45 PDT Moonrise
2005-09-10 17:09 PDT 0.00 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2005-09-10 18:38 PDT 0.92 knots Max Flood
2005-09-10 19:36 PDT Sunset
2005-09-10 20:05 PDT -0.00 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2005-09-10 22:24 PDT Moonset
2005-09-11 00:29 PDT -4.97 knots Max Ebb

SeanQ:
Thanks everyone for the good dive last night. I now have a serious case of light envy.

Those red worms were interesting. I have never seen anything like them in the open.

I'll going to go look at the current tables and find a good day for the next Scubaboard meeting.

From a local UVic invert prof:

BioProf:
... a mass swarming event by a polychaete worm. I can't say what species it might have been, but I suspect it was a member of the Nereidae or Syllidae; members of these two families often show swarming behaviour by epitokes.

I think some worms apparently disconnect a part of themselves to undergo sexual reproduction.

- ChillyWaters

Not me, I'm busy that day.

Does anybody have any other favourite dives? I've never been out to clover point. Anything worth seeing there?

Not necessarily for our monthly dive, but I know I keep meaning to get out to Setchell to see how those sea pens are doing. Hopefully they're a lot bigger now.

- ChillyWaters

SeanQ:
I was just looking at the current tables. September 10th looks like a decent Saturday night for a gathering at Ten Mile Point. Any interest?

ChillyWaters:
From a local UVic invert prof:

I think some worms apparently disconnect a part of themselves to undergo sexual reproduction.

- ChillyWaters

Let me get this straight. We wern't surrounded by a swarm of free swimming, horny worms; we were surrounded by a swarm of free swimming, horny worms' reproductive organs. At night.

Fantastic. :15a:

SeanQ:
Let me get this straight. We wern't surrounded by a swarm of free swimming, horny worms; we were surrounded by a swarm of free swimming, horny worms' reproductive organs. At night.

Fantastic. :15a:

I'm no biologist, but I think they just let part of themselves go... not necessarily their fun bits (do worms have "fun bits"?). Though I'm unsure if the worms we encountered actually endergo this John Bobbit-like reproduction.

Talking about oddities, ever seen a video of a couple of flatworms doing their penis fencing? The one that loses the battle, getting stabbed by their opponents penis, becomes the female, and is forced to bare the children. Isn't nature odd?

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
Not me, I'm busy that day.

Does anybody have any other favourite dives? I've never been out to clover point. Anything worth seeing there?

Not necessarily for our monthly dive, but I know I keep meaning to get out to Setchell to see how those sea pens are doing. Hopefully they're a lot bigger now.

- ChillyWaters
At this time of year, you won't see much at Clover Point except for kelp, and it may seem blurry as you zip by in the current. There is supposed to be a field of sea pens in the sand just off the rocky area, but for me anyways they are invisible. Maybe there's supposed to be a personal access code that you punch in before the dive to activate the sea pen holograms. In the sand there are quite a few moon snails and other little creatures (stalked jellyfish, brooding anemones, nudibranchs, hermit crabs, etc) around the eel-grass beds (25-40 feet deep). I've never seen the sea pens at Setchel point/Deep Cove either although I haven't been there in about 6 months. Where are they?

swankenstein:
At this time of year, you won't see much at Clover Point except for kelp, and it may seem blurry as you zip by in the current. There is supposed to be a field of sea pens in the sand just off the rocky area, but for me anyways they are invisible. Maybe there's supposed to be a personal access code that you punch in before the dive to activate the sea pen holograms. In the sand there are quite a few moon snails and other little creatures (stalked jellyfish, brooding anemones, nudibranchs, hermit crabs, etc) around the eel-grass beds (25-40 feet deep). I've never seen the sea pens at Setchel point/Deep Cove either although I haven't been there in about 6 months. Where are they?

Moon snail, eh? That's cool. Perhaps a dive for the fall.

As for the sea pens... I'm horrible at giving directions.

If you dive from Setchell Point, then head towards the wreck, and if you aim for the right of the wreck, you'll pass all the sea pens on the way to the wreck. They were smallish last time I was there (1-1.5" high), but they were definitely plentiful (a hundreds little guys). I wish I could remember distances, but I can't. I've run across them a couple times though, and seem to find them easy enough.

- ChillyWaters

SeanQ:
Okay folks... It's been too long. Time to plan another dive.
I'm looking to do something thursday after work. Any ideas?

wedivebc:
I'm looking to do something thursday after work. Any ideas?

Hmm... I finish school early that day. The currents may be too quick for Ten Mile unless we want to drift from Spring Bay to the San Juans.

I just realized that I won't have a car that day so unless we do the Inlet or Sidney area and someone can pick me up (I live on the way) I can't make it.

Back
Top Bottom