Weight Tubes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDonald

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Went diving yesterday, had ALOT of weight in my Diverite Pockets, (I was wearing a really old thick dry suit that needed alot). Even with the locking metal brackets on the nylon straps it kept sliding around. I got out of the water and decided there had to be a better way, well I designed and built "Weight Tubes". It straps the weight to the back plate, but you can't release it. I really can't think of many good reasons to have the weight release, it seems if I need to ditch my weight I can just ditch the harness/bladder and inflate it, pull my self up on a line, manually inflate, etc. If someone needs to remove my weight, I just don't see any major problems with attaching it. Anyone think of anything major that makes this a terrible idea? If anyone has done this or has harness with weight pouches take them off and tell me it doesn't feel better.

I use a Diverite transpac with the intergrated wieght pockets. If we are talking about the same thing I fixed the problem of the pockets moving by using a small nut and bolt through the steel plate and my web belt and it solved the slippage problem. As far as haveing non ditchable wieghts I can think of twice that I ditched my wieghts both times at the surface. I was caught on the surface twice with no boat in sight and the seas kicking up. Both times I should have known better than to do the dive but did so no one to blame but me. By ditching the wieghts it allowed me to float higher in the water until I was picked up and allowed me to keep my head higher out of the water. I can think of alot of other reasons to not have non ditchable wieghts but none that have affected me other than the two I have recounted.

Back
Top Bottom