What are your biggest pet peeves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Needing to go to the bathroom while wearing a wetsuit, especially on boat dives. Peeing into the head while on a rocking boat with your wetsuit half-off takes too much coordination. I need a Y-front wetsuit. :)

Since I am new I don't have any pet peeves yet, but my list is building. Buddy who swims 20' out in front of me and swims though the water like we are late for something.
The inst. that tells us during class we have excellent bouyancy control, when in fact I know better. Better yet, tell me how I can fix what I am doing wrong so I know what to work on. Yes, may not be shooting to the surface like the person next to me, may be able to hold my safty stop in mid water pretty well, but still have a long ways to go. Hard to improve when you are not sure where you are failing. Tell me what I did well and tell me something I can work on.
Just an honest assessment of my skills or lack there of.

When I am being rushed to get my gear ready and in the water and interupted 50 times while doing it.

Last edited:
This has been a fun thread to read, thanks everyone! My pet peeve is people touching stuff underwater. I just got back from Mexico where I watched people pick up conch shells (until the guide saw him and told him not to), try to grab turtles, nurse sharks, poke fish, grab reefs (or bash reefs with bicycle-kicking fins and dangling gauges/octos/straps...). Thank god the guy leading our group saw it happen once and made it clear he wouldn't tolerate it. Depressing that other groups didn't have the same ethic.

Next time just point out a nice, pretty fireworm ... if they pick it up, comprehension will set in pretty quick ...

B06-033.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Needing to go to the bathroom while wearing a wetsuit, especially on boat dives. Peeing into the head while on a rocking boat with your wetsuit half-off takes too much coordination. I need a Y-front wetsuit. :)

You have a wetsuit on and you pee while you're on the boat??? Huh! :wink:

Next time just point out a nice, pretty fireworm ... if they pick it up, comprehension will set in pretty quick ...

B06-033.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah those things just scream to be touched.................... just once!
See you topside! John

Ha, Bob and John...we think alike...I pointed out a nice feathery plant...can you say "hydroid"? I almost felt guilty.

Yeah, sometimes the contents of the cooler can be a bit confusing. I saw a few
special fruit juice type things one time along with a whole bunch of sodas. Hmm,
fruit juice sounds good. A few moments later I glanced across the boat and a small
group all had the same juice, most everyone else had the sodas. After getting a couple
glances I figured things out and quickly finsihed my juice. I really need to start listening
more closely to those pre-dive briefings !

Not being prepared. You knew last night we were going diving. Why do we need to do what we could have done at home now? (I have 2 little kids and MY stuff IS ready!!!) Forgetting stuff etc.

Cold water divers who use plastic disposable gloves under wet gloves to make them easier to get on. I wore wet glove for 15 year without having to throw out plastic gloves every dive...

Also positioning yourself so I keep kicking you. It makes my knees sore. I stopped diving with a guy who wouldn't stop it. I also confess to swimming into my buddies fins during a tech training class, he lost his favorite fins, and had to use a really old pair of long blades, and the length difference screwed up our already established natural position! I felt so bad for repeatedly swimming into his kick...because I know how annoying it is!

I do not like people who want everything on a dive boat handled for them. In North Carolina we refer to them as "Princess Divers." I believe that it's acceptable to ask for help, but don't rely on someone else to set all your gear up for you. Afterall, your life depends on it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom