• Spit the company

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • 500 PSI

Votes: 43 16.5%
  • Homemade

Votes: 41 15.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used, very successfully, the 500psi and SealGold(?). I've found the thicker the defog, the better. Frankly, I haven't tried the spit thing, nor the baby shampoo.

Regardless, what I've found is that in the training sessions, where you're doing a lot of mask clearing or mask removal, the thicker stuff holds up better.

If human saliva works for you, you either don't need defog or there is something really wrong with your spit.

In tests with mirrors and steam, spit was used as a baseline to test defog performance. The problem was, spit was so horrible that it was plainly obvious it wasn't a good defog agent and set the baseline ultra low. Sadly still, some of the cheaper liquid defogs didn't outperform spit by far.

Probably one of the most scientific tests Rodale's ever ran.

I use a 25-30% solution of....drum roll please....Baby Shampoo and Water! I keep it in a $1.99 Walmart spray bottle. Just don't wash it out of your mask before you put it on. Assuming your mask doesn't flood (I think most mask defoggers including spit will stop working if your mask floods), there's no reason why it shouldn't last your whole dive.

No more tears, baby!

What he said. Except that I rinse it out just before putting the mask on. Never had a fogging problem with this sequence.

When is someone going to admit that they just use what ever is on the boat?
:)

500 PSI when working with students (dive shop supplies it) great product but really needs different packaging, either a wide mouthed jar or a toothpast type tube.
When diving on my own-baby shampoo-love the price.

Back
Top Bottom