What did you learn from your very last dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned that showing off while tourists watch you through a window is a bunch of fun:D
I also learned that my brand new spring straps for my fins kick a$$:)

I learned that diving with double steel 85s and a BP/W is WAY different than diving with a single AL 80 and a back inflate BC. Keep in mind the tanks and BP/Wing were rentals. Working on geting used to handeling doubles before I go on a trip to Oriskany to do a deco dive.

I felt out of control for the first time in 50 + dives. Every 30-40 or so dives I try something new.

I learned that while I've come a long way, I still have a long way to go. I went out diving with a couple experienced divers and they were very complimentary of my diving (trim, control)....but I did ask for constructive criticism and they mentioned that sometimes they weren't sure exactly where I was. So I need to work on buddy skills....and for my own sake, I feel like I need to work on being more in control in the water (buoyancy is fine, but staying in the same spot when surge is trying to force you in a different direction is still really hard to control).

I learned a lot on my last dive...it was kind of humbling, to be honest.
For one thing, I need to plan my dives better...especially from a gas management viewpoint.
Secondly, I need to work on being more aware of the "team"
Thirdly, well, I can't think of a third point...did I mention it was really humbling? :)

I learned that Thermoclines are really really cold! Lake diving is still fun though when you can't get offshore. Also, it's always good to train in low or no visibilty. You would be surprised how disorienting it can be and that practice will help you stay calm and work through it!

Carolyn:shark2:

I have learned that computers are not perfect. They can fail and leave you with no other choice than calling the dive off if you don't have a backup such as a depth gauge and a watch and also you haven't planned the dive by looking at the tables as well (I am not a super-diver with thousands of logged dives so I cannot make those calculations in my head).

I don't have a computer. It was my buddy computer that went crazy during the descent. We were supposed to hit a 30ft bottom and instead we found ourselves at a depth of 60ft, which was the max planned depth of our dive. We surfaced swam too far and we did not discuss the possibility of having to deal with a failing computer before getting into the water.

I should have looked at my depth gauge while going down rather than waiting until my buddy signaled to me that something was wrong. By the time I looked at the instrument I was already at 60ft. While descending my instinct kept telling me that something did not look right. The bottom was taking too long to appear©Ãut I ignored it and kept going...

When my buddy signaled to go up I began a straight ascend without realizing that that I had to keep an eye on my depth gauge and my watch. For some obscure reasons I thought that at a 60feet you could skip the safety stop as long as you didnÃÕ ascend too fast. Some kind of invisible ÁÇorce would have guided me safely to the surface To be honest with you I donÃÕ know what I was thinking.

It was my buddy that signaled to me to stop the vertical ascent and follow the bottom up instead. That alternative did not accord to me at all. When we finally surfaced we decided to go back down and stay at a depth of 20 ft. Off we went. Everything went fine until my buddy began to swim down the slope to look at something without letting me know. I had to swim closer to her twice and remind her about our plan to stay at 20ft. We were at 25ft. It may sound that it was not a big deal but I think no matter the depth it is very important to stick to a plan as far as the environmental and the divers mental conditions allow and keep the communication with the other buddy going.

So my last dive made me more aware of the implications of using a dive computer, the importance of improving the communication with my buddy both on the surface and under the water and improve my environmental awareness.

I learned that you need to get all the way out of the water when disconnecting the first stage from the tank to try to readjust it and stop an air leak. (I'm pretty sure walt water got in my first stage--and I just had it serviced before this set of dives).

I learned that I can't hear a dang thing with a hood on and that my computer is a lot more conservative than many of my buddies :(

- that physical fitness and quitting smoking is important for comfortable diving.
- that i must plan the dive and look at the wreck schematic (or bring it with me) even though i'm diving with a great DM.
- that i'm going to get an SMB.
- that i'm going to follow the rule of thumb to wear a pony bottle as a redundant air source for dives exceeding the cubic feet in my back gas.
- that i'm going to practice air sharing and CESA the next time I go diving.
- that deeper dives and wrecks are where i need to go to expand my skills and comfort level.

The dive was actually fantastic, except that my buddy and I separated from the DM's group and ascended the wrong mooring line. I had taken over the role of checking my buddy's air and since he was low, I decided to ascend to our safety stop ASAP rather than look for the right mooring line. We decided that the swim to the boat would be manageable despite the current. I would have felt better if I'd deployed an SMB in case the current was stronger than we'd figured. The dive was both reinforcing and humbling.

--Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom