What did you learn from your very last dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took my nitrox and AOW courses this weekend and did the pool portion at GT. Although I do not want to jump on the bandwagon, because I am not Fully converted yet, I loved the BP&W I swam with. I was not ideally setup for me since it was my Instructors setup, but let me just say that as a new diver who is used to jacket style BCs, and the roll you can get, this had no roll, and I was able to control my bouyancy completely different than using the Jacket style BC.

I still have a few things I need to loook into as far as what is best for me as a setup but am definitely leaning towards the BP&W setup. I will still be testing stuff out.

After about 30 dives with jacket style BCDs and borrowed BP/Ws there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to get my own BP/W . I haven't regretted it yet.:)

What did I learn from my last dive?

Caves are not a benign environment! Things can get dicey very quickly...and sometimes ignorance really is bliss; at the time, watching the silt billow up, I had no idea how bad of a situation that could've turned into. I sure found out once we surfaced, though! Let's just add that to my list of "Things not to do in a cave" :D

I have got to improve my pull-n'-glide technique. I'm tired of raw fingers :(

^^huh?^^

I learned that Giant Pacific Octopuses dont like being filmed and will try to steal your camera if you're close enough. Luckily, I kept hold of the camera, and was rolling for the whole thing.

That I am finally going to use the dry gloves that I have had for a few years.

My last dive was my first time in a drysuit. I learned that they are very warm but also very expensive.

That the cost of stubborn independence can be unacceptably high.

I relearned the lesson that a dive master needs to listen to his clients. On my last dive in Cozumel a month ago, we were diving at Yucab, which is a nice shallow site. Cozumel is a fine place for photography, but with the current, it is hard to do macro. Yucab is a great place for this since it is one of the few sites that is pretty still . The DM asked our group what we wanted to do on this dive, and I told him that I was really looking forward to staying in one place so that I could concentrate on macro photography. The rest of the group agreed that was fine. The previous week, we had done plenty of deep dives and swim-throughs. On our last dive it was time to take things easy. The DM was on the boat with his son and wanted to play with his scooter. I thought it would be fine, he can scooter around and my wife and I can stay put. After about 10 minutes the DM got bored and scootered up to me with his slate. He had written "The current has changed, we can do a swim through, UR choice." There was no current that I could feel, so I made it clear that I wanted to stay put. He signaled "OK." About 5 minutes later he scootered back and motioned to me that we were all going to the swim-through, and no, no one else on the trip really wanted to do another swim-through. Grrr.

I got some nice photos from this trip, but needless to say, no decent macro shots. More at:

Cozumel 2009 - a set on Flickr

Underwater photography is not as easy as I thought. Looking at the camera lcd screen, controlling bouyancy, and keeping an eye on my computer was tougher than expected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom