What is an appropriate tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What's the appropriate tip when the dive op picks you up and stores your equipment? I know the usual is $5 per tank, so would $10 per tank be appropriate??

My usual is $10 per tank. Or 10-15% of the entire trip cost.
If I get along with the crew it's 15%, if I really enjoyed the trip in part because of the crew I tip 20% or more.

If the crew just got me from point A-B with little to no interaction it's usually 5-10%.

My usual is $10 per tank. Or 10-15% of the entire trip cost.
If I get along with the crew it's 15%, if I really enjoyed the trip in part because of the crew I tip 20% or more.

If the crew just got me from point A-B with little to no interaction it's usually 5-10%.

Getting from A-B with little to no interaction sounds like the bare minimum they get paid for. To me that does not earn a tip of any kind.

From the Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette, Book 1:

PLEASE TIP

Do it. Tip something. Tip in local currency if you can. Always tip in cash. If you are clueless as to what is appropriate, then tip five to ten dollars per tank per diver. That’s a fair range. The tip can be on the lower end if the services provided are minimal, more if someone set up your gear for you, changed out your tank, gave you a beverage and/or snack and/or lunch. You should tip more if the divemaster retrieved the piece of gear you dropped overboard, or saved your life, or did something else special like that. Some boats have a tip jar. We make a habit of asking if there is one, and usually ask loud enough so other people will hear us ask and hopefully tip. If there is a tip jar, put your entire tip in it. If there is none, tip the divemaster and captain separately. Also, tip every day since the crew and dive masters may change daily. But TIP.
DivemasterDennis

It depends on the service and where you are. The DM in Panama was somewhat shocked when I tipped him in advance for the week.

One other thing my wife did in Belieze for a tip - no comments- was to give the dive master her fin spring straps. Most dive destinations are expensive to ship to. We frequently go to little cayman over the holidays. I always call the dive shop and ask if any people need some equipment.

Working part time at a dive op has really opened my eyes. Tip something. I don't get paid sh!t ($50 a weekend), I have a 2 hour drive plus food for the weekend. I work my butt off to make the experience a good one.

To get a tip is a good thing.

Sent from my DROID X2

I tip $10 a tank for my GF/dive buddy and I.

I add a little for special favors such as taking and getting tanks filled for us afterwards, so we don't have to.

Working part time at a dive op has really opened my eyes. Tip something. I don't get paid sh!t ($50 a weekend), I have a 2 hour drive plus food for the weekend. I work my butt off to make the experience a good one.

To get a tip is a good thing.

Sent from my DROID X2

I always leave a tip, haven't been on a boat where they didn't deserve one yet.

Back
Top Bottom