what is the avg. tip you should leave????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they load and unload your gear 5 bucks per tank is what I do and what my instructor said was standard for the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here's a link to a very similar post. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/351226-how-much-tip-liveaboard-2.html

Granted, it's a few years old, but if you go with percentages, then those get automatically adjusted with COLA. I don't think you can follow the standard advice of $5-10/tank for doing regular diving off a dive boat because there are so many more people who need to be tipped on a liveaboard (the cooks, cleaners, servers etc. etc.). Someone in the thread I referenced made the good point that you need to adjust your tip (if you are going on a percentage of the total) if you got a deeply discounted rate.

Me, I try and look at tips when diving like I do with any other service (restaurant, hair salon etc.) and aim for something in the 15-20% range if I am delighted with the service.

Related question, How much to tip when in Kauai? doing shore dives & boat dives. What if one of the dives is a 1-1 with a DM to get my feet wet? 10-20$ per dive? Doing 4 days, 8 dives min with the same shop.

I suggests in our books that $5 to $10 per tank is appropriate depending upon the level of service rendered- was there a snack? Did the boat crew set up gear, or offer to? Did they change out your tanks? Of course, if the DM rescued you or a piece of gear your dropped, a better tip is appropriate. On the other hand, if you were left at a dive site, no tip is expected. Note- tip daily as crews change from day to day in most places.
DivemasterDennis

$5 to $10 per tank in the Gulf South on a day boat. Liveaboard, suggested 10% of total cost.

So The difference between a middling tip and a pretty good one is ten bucks for 2-tank day dive. Worth it, especially if you forgot something on board and hafta go back, or call them later. Or if you're going to return for future dives. Or especially if they bring your rental tank from the shopl to boat for you, and back. the crew get to know who are the "good" passengers.

This applies to restaurants too.

And most anything where tipping is customary.

And life in general, for that matter. Even where there is not tipping, it's called "good job, thanks".

$5/tank if they didn't do too much (remember they also prep the boat and clean it when done, stuff you don't see before/after you're there).
If they hauled some of my stuff, helped me out, chatted with me, and actually did more than just take care of the boat... $10/tank

Back
Top Bottom